weird injury

Options
so for the past week, I have been doing the elliptical for about 45-60 minutes or running for about 30 minutes every day. One day, I think it was tuesday, I felt pain in my left hip joint. then today, I was running and after I stopped, I couldn't even walk up the steps it hurt so bad but it was more of my groin hurting then instead of my hip. ANY ideas to what this might be?

Replies

• econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    so for the past week, I have been doing the elliptical for about 45-60 minutes or running for about 30 minutes every day. One day, I think it was tuesday, I felt pain in my left hip joint. then today, I was running and after I stopped, I couldn't even walk up the steps it hurt so bad but it was more of my groin hurting then instead of my hip. ANY ideas to what this might be?
  • chelseachick
    Options
    It could be a tight hip flexer. Try laying on your stomach with a tennis ball near your hip bone but towards your navel in that groove - if you can "feel" the ball - you'll know what I mean - then you're hip flexer is tight. you can help relieve it by lying on the ball - and rocking on it - do it dailiy . Also concentrate on using your butt or glut muscles when you ues your legs - you can help stimulate your muscle memory by laying on your stomach and just bending your legs back - but make sure you're engaging your butt before you raise your leg. Somethimes we over use our hip flexer instead of using our gluts (guilty as charged and my physiotherapist has me working on this). If it keeps hurting see your Dr and ask about pysio. Good luck and speedy recovery.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing - it's terrible. It's my hip flexor - one of the most difficult muscles to stretch. I've had it for a long time now.

The exercise that seems to relieve the pain is when I stand about a foot away from the wall sideways. Cross the opposite foot over the front about halfway (so if the wall is on your right, cross over using your left) and gently lean your hip towards the wall. You don't have to over do it and you have to be leaning perpendicular to the wall otherwise it won't help. I hold it for about 30 seconds and then release and switch sides. This helps loosen things up - but as I have a herniated disc as well and the muscles in my back are all out of whack, it keeps tightening up on me (hope yours is a quick fix :happy: )

I'm going to try the tennis ball thing right now though....LOL Anything that could help!!!!