Walking the best exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Agree, definitely! I started my weight loss journey walking.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a wonderful part of my life. I walk regularly (border collie as my companion). I've done this for all the years of this fitness journey. For several months, when I joined MFP this spring, I counted it as exercise on MFP. I do other aerobic and strength bearing exercise as well. Recently as I am within 20 pounds of my goal weight and plateaued, I decided to relook at walking. I no longer count it as exercise. I consider it such an essential part of my daily lifestyle that I changed my settings from sedentary to slightly active. That has given me more calories each day and it helped me break the plateau. Even if it's not the "best" exercise, it is certainly one of the best parts of my slightly active lifestyle.
  • kathyrnmsn
    Options
    Walking is a great low impact exerise to increase your endurence and a great way to de-stress! I walk alot at work but in the fall and spring walking becomes an adventure
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a GREAT exercise on its own.. i wish I could do it more often I live in the deep country and im petrified to go walking I fear something is going to jump out and eat me hahahaha i know im taking it far but it actually worries me
    I feel you! I live in a small city, but a couple years ago, a woman was attacked by a bobcat (or something like that) while walking here. Last night, I passed a domestic cat, but he was at the bottom of a hill and it was kind of dark out and at first, I thought he was bigger and I almost freaked out. lol
  • kristy1105
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I've done. It worked for me! Along with eating better, tracking calories, etc. I have recently started using my hand weights every day, just for a few minutes at a time, to build muscle in my arms.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight just walking? Absolutely. Is it the best? That's subjective...but anyone can do it and you have to start somewhere.

I used to walk all the time, but as I got older it just wasn't enough. I love what I do now....long bike rides w/hubby, running, and I am a newly christened triathlete. I never even considered doing those things 20 years ago.

Diet is the most important aspect of weight loss though.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    That's just about ALL I do ( that, and my Gazelle)....but I get creative- i park further and further away from the stores, and push the cart all the way back INTO THE STORE, I take the stairs when I can,
    I walk around the block waiting for dr. app'ts (If I arrive early, rather than sit in the waiting room)
    I walk up and down my stairs @ home and around the house when no one's home,

and I do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds Videos.... which incorporates upper arm movements and weights to increase
    the intensity....

For me, right now- at this point in my life...I simply do not have the time to get to a gym because of my work schedule-
    and some other health factors that I won't discuss publicly-

so walking in its various forms has been a real blessing- and I think the combination of eating moderately and exercising beyond
    what my body is accustomed to- has benefited me w/ close to 40 lbs and and average of 5 inches lost overall
  • SusiB60
    SusiB60 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Defo yes!!

I started walking to the station and back each workday - about 50 mins a day.
    I think it's boosted weight loss - I've lost 2 stone now without starving myself.
    More importantly though, my hips & thighs have dramatically changed shape and are much slimmer and firmer now ....rather than large and very wobbly as they were before :)

It's taken a while - I started towards the end of May this year ....but sooooo worth it.
    And I've saved a fortune in parking fees Result!!!
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I guess I'm going to just stick to walking for now, and then the other exercises for toning after this weightloss later :)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Best is subjective.

Walking is an excellent way to build resistance for beginners or to just maintain an on the go active level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, I have even upped it to include the Tracks app on my android, to time myself and my distance to monitor my improvment over weeks/months. And there is improvments that exist. I can now walk 3 miles in 45 min when I used to only do 1.5 in half hour to 40 minutes. So its goody.

But flip side, everything is different for everyone. I cannot run. I have a lateral miniscus tear that prohibits it. But I CAN power walk, and I can jumprope. And I have been told jump rope is as aerobic as running is. So again, relative. It all depends on your goals.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I guess I'm going to just stick to walking for now, and then the other exercises for toning after this weightloss later :)

You should tone while losing, as well. Walking it great cardio and will certainly build leg muscles and even work your abs a little. But why wait to start to weight training? You may not SEE it until the fat is gone, but at least you'll be ahead of the game if you start now. Do your cardio and then maybe 20-30 minutes of weight training two or three days a week if you don't want to commit more time.