Weird things found in foods...

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
As a bit of a spin-off from the thread about spider legs in chocolate, what kind of strange or disgusting things have you found in foods, and did it turn you against that food?

The absolutely most disgusting thing when I was a teenager, was after drinking a packet of Swiss Miss hot chocolate, seeing that there was some kind of (dead, at least after having boiling water poured over them) larva or maggots stuck in the glass. :sad: It took a long time before I could drink hot chocolate again, and I'm still very cautious that it's JUST powder in the mix.

More recently, I had a BBQ Chicken Hot Pocket (all jokes a side, it's really tasty for a Hot Pocket) and there was a bone in it. Hopefully a chicken bone, but about the right size to be a phalanx if I let my mind wander. I emailed them to complain, and got a ton of coupons.

I also got a pile of coupons when I complained to Target that one of the packets in a container of diet ice tea mix was completely empty. Look, I know it's zero calories, but that's a bit extreme! :laugh:

Replies

• coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    I went to a mexican restaurant in Denver and my co-worker had saran wrap in her salad. Not just like a little peice, it was like 12 inches long! It was funny because it caught on her fork as she was about to take a bite and this big trail of saran was there dripping with dressing. Needless to say we didnt eat there again. However, happy hour was never wasted. She got her salad for free.
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has never gone back to KFC ever again after he found feathers were still attached to his food.

I've never had any horrific stories, apart from finding workers hairs in my food. Of course I got a free meal after I returned it, but it makes me so very wary of going back. Why did they not think about wearing hairnets?!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I went to Subway last month & found a fly in my ham. It didn't gross me out that much until I suspected I might have ingested at the very least a leg (there was one missing.) Maybe a wing too? I almost didn't catch it because I had black olives in the sandwich! :laugh:

I understand that it wasn't really their fault, I guess? They did throw out the ham & lettuce & give me a new 6 inch, but I'm not ready to go back yet.
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Nylon bristles , obviously from some industrial machine, in jujubes, back in the nineties. I too was the recipient of coupons.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    At Applebees, we found wax paper in our dessert. Also at Applebees, I had a lid in my spinach & artichoke dip (yes, a lid).

At Logans, I had a dead fruit fly in my salad.

On numerous occasions, I had a fly (marinated in dressing) in my salad at Olive Garden - now, I go for the soup!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Once I got some chicken nuggets from Chick Fil A, and there was not just a single hair in one, but a WAD of blonde hair in one. So I basically had a mouthful of someone's hair! SOOO Gross! I don't know why I didn't go in and complain. It was about 10 years ago and maybe I was too shy or something. If that happened now - you better believe I'd go in and complain! Has it turned me off from that food? Nope. I still love Chick Fil A. And that incident has never happened again. Of course I rarely eat there now since Fried Chicken fingers and Waffle fries aren't exactly condusive to weight loss :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Little balls of fat and cartilage in chicken mcnuggets from McD's. Yeah that was like 10 years ago, never ate there again. ::vomit:::
  • ladym04
    Options
    I went to taco bell and found what i thought was a piece of brown paper towel in my meat. When returning the food i was told it wasnt paper towel it was a piece of the cow skin that didnt get ground up and that it happens "more then we think". Dont know if thats true but YUCK!!! I still eat taco bell sometimes, but i get chicken. lol
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has never gone back to KFC ever again after he found feathers were still attached to his food.

I've never had any horrific stories, apart from finding workers hairs in my food. Of course I got a free meal after I returned it, but it makes me so very wary of going back. Why did they not think about wearing hairnets?!

You eat dead chickens. They had feathers when they were still alive. ._. I don't get it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Halfway through my bowl of tofu, black beans and rice, I noticed that one of the beans had legs.

It was a cockroach.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I went to taco bell and found what i thought was a piece of brown paper towel in my meat. When returning the food i was told it wasnt paper towel it was a piece of the cow skin that didnt get ground up and that it happens "more then we think". Dont know if thats true but YUCK!!! I still eat taco bell sometimes, but i get chicken. lol

That's really disgusting....we had what we thought was brown paper bag in our mexican pizza many many years ago....we didn't go back, just tossed it. Eww, that's just really, ewww
  • fueledbystina
    Options
    Me and my dad got a pizza once and it had glass in/on it. o_o
  • nothingisred
    Options
    In school a friend found a maggot wriggling around in the wrapper of a Green & Blacks chocolate bar. Talk about organic...

Last time I went home my dad took me to the local cafe and I found a large dead bug of some sort in my mushrooms. They were really apologetic and remade my meal but I asked for it without mushrooms, it put me off them for the day (but not enough to put me off mushrooms altogether, I love them).

I also had a pot of garlic and onion dip from Spar a few months ago that had some bright blue plastic in it. Yum!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I once found A bloody bandaid in a burger I ordered from a small mom & pop place. I never ever went back, and I always check burgers and things like that before eating them now - no matter where I am.
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I almost forgot this one. I was at the airport in Altanta and got a frozen yogurt. While eating it I found piece of plastic broken off some part of machinery. I had 10 mins left to when my flight boarded and went to give it back to them and
    the manager wanted my reciept!! I was like "seriously!" It could have broken a tooth or cut something going down and you want a reciept? My plane was boarding so I left him with the cup and all.
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    M AND MY SISTER WENT TO A MEXICAN RESTURANT AND FOUND 2 SMALL ROACHES IN THE FOOD...NEEDLESS TO SAY WE NEVER WENT BACK.....:sick:
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options

That's really disgusting....we had what we thought was brown paper bag in our mexican pizza many many years ago....we didn't go back, just tossed it. Eww, that's just really, ewww
    GROSS!!!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    this thread is doing nothing for my headache and upset stomach.
  • nothingisred
    Options

Lovely...I would have thought it would be better for the staff to just have conceded it was brown paper and left it at that!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

It says something about my level of cynicism that my first thought was "there's actually COW in their beef?!" :laugh:

I would have thought it much more likely to be at least 85% paper product/wood pulp.