Thanksgiving Sides!

Options
Im hosting a thanksgiving dinner for my family. Anyone have any healthy reciepes for the traditional side dishes at thanksgiving dinner?

Replies

• gagejennifer
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I honestly don't know. But I hope we can all get through that holiday together !.
  • ohiogal614
    ohiogal614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking/worrying about that also... I am going to make a 'lot' of green beans, a little spray butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper, toss and mix well and then add some sliced almonds.

If I have the energy, will make mashed potatoes from cauliflower for me.

Linda
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We love green beans! Cook them in a pan with garlic powder or the real deal, spray butter, and hey maybe some almonds or bacon!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
  • Strobins05
    Options
    That sounds like a good one for me to try!
  • careyjean
    Options
    Can't go wrong with straight turnip!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has AWESOME recipes.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I'm cooking too and I will just limit what I eat and make sure to get a high calorie burn workout in that morning. This is not to say that I try to be mindful. I will cut down where I can.
  • momma_kathleen
    Options
    quartered brussel sprouts sauteed in a small amount of olive oil with prosciutto , then balsamic vinegar, put the lid on and turn it down and let it cook thru for a few minutes...everyone raves about this dish

then there is always green beans sauteed with a little olive oil and almond slivers with a dash of soy sauce...i steam the green beans first to soften them, but only for a couple minutes, they finish in the sautee pan, also, sautee the almonds just to release the flavor a little before you put the green beans in
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I don't host Thanksgiving, but I do host Easter.

Every Easter I do two roasted veggie dishes. If I go to my in-laws, they always do canned veggies. But when I host I like to show off how delicious and healthy roasted veggies are. Asparagus is one of my favorites to do. But you could do any veggies you like: tomatoes, peppers, onions, broccoli, etc.

Also, instead of mashed potatoes (they always make two huge bowls of this), I roast seasoned potatoes/sweet potatoes in the oven.

Oh, and instead of rolls... if your guests really like having bread, you could try a multi-grain loaf or rolls.

My in-laws are huge starch and low veggie people, so these alternatives are good "middle-of-the-road" ideas.

We skip stuffing, ad a side salad and make a low-cal dessert! :)

Hope this gives some inspiration! :smile:
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How about asapragus?? I don't think it's in season, but I still find it in my grocery store. I like to steam them in my microwave, broil them in the oven, or throw them on the grill for a few minutes. I only add a little garlic powder after I wash them and it helps to give flavor. You can add butter once the dish is hot if you like.
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    Good Idea Puddy! I figure we will do baked sweet potatoe and salad and now thanks to Puddy, I am adding Asparagus.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    bump fo later
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I found this Sweet potato casserole on foodnetwork.com with only 160 calories per serving. I made this yesterday as a test run before Thanksgiving. I will be making this instead of mashed potaotes and gravy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/sweet-potato-pecan-casserole-recipe/index.html
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/mashed-sweet-potatoes-brulee.html

Mashed Sweet Potatoes Brulee

Mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized brown sugar crust.
    Sweet potatoes are a must for Thanksgiving and this dish will be a hit on your Holiday table.
    I am starting to post Thanksgiving recipes since it's right around the corner, so we are testing out lots of side
    dishes in my home. We really loved this recipe, I can happily say this is the dish that finally turned me into a
    sweet potato fan. Previously I only enjoyed them as sweet potato fries , or in a sweet potato pie , but I will
    certainly be making this again and again.
    To prepare ahead, make the mashed sweet potatoes the day before, then re-heat them before topping with
    sugar and broiling. Once you broil them, you'll want to serve them right away. If you are bringing them to
    someone's house, don't add the brown sugar topping until you are ready to serve.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes Brulee

Adapted from Cooking Light

Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 14 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 113.4 • Fat: 1.5 g • Protein: 2.2 g • Carb: 25.6 g • Fiber: 2.9 g • Sugar: 14.8
    Sodium: 141 mg

Ingredients:
    5 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled until soft (6 cups cooked)
    3/4 cup 1% milk
    3 tbsp light butter, softened
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup unpacked light brown sugar
    Directions:
    When the potatoes are cooked and soft, combine them with milk, light butter, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
    and mash or puree until smooth.
    Spoon into a 9 x 9 or 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
    Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly over top. Broil 2 minutes or until sugar melts,
    careful not to burn. Let it stand until the melted sugar hardens (about 5 minutes).

Makes 7 cups.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The brussel sprouts recipe sounds absolutely yummmmmmmmmmy. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    And the sweet potato recipe sounds just as yummy. Thanks for sharing this.
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Fresh Green Bean Casserole
    With a slimmed-down white sauce, this creamy green bean casserole side dish recipe is low in fat and sodium.
    MAKES: 10 servings
    SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup

Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
    Servings Per Recipe: 10
    Calories: 107
    Protein(gm): 4
    Carbohydrate(gm): 14
    Fat, total(gm): 3
    Cholesterol(mg): 7
    Saturated fat(gm): 1
    Dietary Fiber, total(gm): 3
    Sodium(mg): 148

1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon dry ranch salad dressing mix
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 cup soft whole wheat or white bread crumbs (1-1/3 slices bread)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a covered saucepan, cook green beans in a small amount of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, for white sauce: 2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, dry dressing mix, and white pepper until combined. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.

3. Coat an unheated medium nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove half of the onion mixture; set aside.

4. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until tender. In a 1-1/2-quart casserole, combine mushroom mixture, beans, and white sauce.

5. In a small bowl, stir together reserved onion mixture and bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over bean mixture in casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 10 (1/2 cup) side-dish servings.
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I plan on making garlic mushroom green beans, zesty mashed potatoes> Not sure what I am doing to the stuffing, but I
    will find some way to make it healthier. Don't worry we will all stick together for support!!!