waist and hips

Options
where exacly is my hips and waist when i measure it for my check in cuz i just want to make sure i am doin it in the right spot and not in the wrong sport can someone help me please

ps please dont just read this and not respond i really need to know i hate it when we read things and we cant say anything we are here to help not read and ignore

Replies

• adamk0324
    Options
    where exacly is my hips and waist when i measure it for my check in cuz i just want to make sure i am doin it in the right spot and not in the wrong sport can someone help me please

ps please dont just read this and not respond i really need to know i hate it when we read things and we cant say anything we are here to help not read and ignore
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I measured my waist along my pants line. I think you measure hips where it is the largest possible measurement you can get.
    :smile:
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Waist:

1. Stand up straight, remove any excess clothing from your waist area.
    2. Position (or have someone assist you) the measuring tape mid-way between the top of your hip bone and the bottom of your rib cage.
    3. Wrap the tape measure completely around your waist and obtain measurement. When you take the measurement, your stomach should be relaxed and you should be breathing out.
    4. A man's waist circumference should be less than 40 inches. A woman's waist circumference should be less than 35 inches.

Hips:

1. Find a proper tape measure. Measuring with a tape measure used for home improvement projects will not always give you a proper measurement. Your best bet it to look at craft stores or fabric stores for a loose tape measure. This is the kind that is not made of any metal.
    2. Next, make certain that your clothes are tight fitting or that there is not a lot of loose material around the hips area.
    3. Then, take the loose tape measure and wrap it around your hip area. The tape measure should be secured at the fullest part of the hip area; this is almost always over the buttocks.
    4. Next, use the small handheld mirror to look into the larger mirror. Make certain that the tape measure is straight and parallel to the ground. The tape measure should also be snug as well but not cutting into your body.
    5. Finally, write the number down on the tape measure and you now have the measurement of your hips.

The above is from eHow.com. Hope it helps.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

OK I was just gonna toss up what I do but I found this so here ya go:laugh: :bigsmile:

Taking Measurements

Taking your body measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fitter. Body weight by itself is not a good indicator of improved fitness. This is because when you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. This is due to the high density of muscle tissue compared to fat.

What Exactly Should You Measure?

The most common measurements include the circumference of your chest, biceps, waist, hips and thighs. Sometimes the neck, forearm and calf are also measured.

Chest: Measure around the largest part of your chest.

Biceps: Measure midway between the top of your shoulder and elbow.

Waist: Measure at the narrowest point, approximately one inch above your belly button. No cheating! Don't pull in your belly or stick it out.

Hips: Measure your hips around the largest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thigh: Thighs are measured separately. Stand with your legs slightly apart. Measure your upper leg where the circumference is largest.

How?
    Use a flexible measuring tape as used by dressmakers. It can be as long as you need. If you use a plastic or cloth tape, bear in mind that these materials may stretch over time.

Wear the thinnest clothes possible, or none at all, so as not to add to the measurements you take.

Try to measure yourself in front of a full-length mirror so that you can see if the tape is positioned correctly.

Perhaps you could find another person to help with the measuring. They would be able to read the results more easily.

Keep your muscles relaxed while measuring.

When measuring, pull the tape just tight enough to keep it from sagging.

How often?
    Measure yourself about every eight weeks.
    Do not take measurements more often than monthly as it may take six to eight weeks to notice any change. You shouldn't expect to see progress more quickly than this and taking your measurements more often can be discouraging.

http://www.weight-loss-program.com/art13-taking-measurements.html

Hope this helps :)
    FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    adamk...looks like you've got a place to start now on the measurements, I was confused exactly where to place the tape measure when I first did it as well.:blushing: :flowerforyou: I find it much easier to have another person take your measurements and always use the same person as they tend to use the same method each time.

I have a certain trainer do mine every so often at my gym.

So many of us have ask the same question you have so I placed it in a thread of it's own so others could benefit from your question on the 'how to's'.....

Glad you ask so now others will also know how to get started:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • adamk0324
    Options
    thanks for evrything it really helped
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I heard once that Dr. Oz (on Oprah) says you are supposed to "suck it in" when you measure your waist? Mine doesn't get tons smaller, but I'll take what I can get!

I know this wouldn't work for measuring for clothes, but it's one way to compare apples to apples when you are trending your inches lost. Personally, I like to "flex" my abs and measure. :happy: