question re: cold weather running gear

Options
Ok, for all of you experienced cold weather runners, this will be my first year running outdoors when it is cold out. I need to know what kind of gear to get. Please fill me in!

Replies

• tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    in my experience.. a great pair of running leggings (full-length) -- something that will break the wind when you're running. a good pair of mittens , a hat (or something to keep your ears warm). and i usually wear a long sleeve shirt and a fleece vest.

good luck!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok, for all of you experienced cold weather runners, this will be my first year running outdoors when it is cold out. I need to know what kind of gear to get. Please fill me in!

How cold is cold?

Right now I run in 30-40 degree weather.

I wear a dri-fit sleeveless under my dri-fit hoodie. Normal boxers and a pair of shorts, or I wear a pair of nike running pants. that's it. You're gonna be warm enough from running.

If I don't wear the hoodie, I wear 1 long sleeve dri-fit and 1 dri-fit t-shirt.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Interesting, but where do you live? I live north of Toronto (Canada) and I'm not sure that would be enough here...
  • anthonyager1
    Options
    Hiya, depends how much you want to spend really. Have a look on Nike's web site. They do some good stuff, but you can't go wrong with a warm jacket, leggings and maybe a base layer if its really cold. A hat of some sort is good to have too. in the uk there's a site called prodirectrunning.com not sure if they have one too in the usa.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What about something to cover your face? It seems like the cold air hurts my lungs the most (I am asthmatic, to be fair).. I'm curious about this too, is there something for that?
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    running tights
    long sleeve top with deep neck zip
    light base layer gloves/beanie
    very light/pack-able wind breaker
    Good socks, I use merino ones.

I start out with the gloves/beanie on, and rapidly take them off as I warm up, they go into the pocket on the wind breaker which also ties round my waist if I really over heat.

Everything goes back on when I start my cool down.
  • keenster
    Options
    Dress in layers. Wear a long sleeve synthetic t-shirt, and top it with a fleece (on really cold days you might need a windbreaker shell). Wear a headband or hat, and you might choose to wear running pants (I prefer shorts as long as the temp is above 25 degrees.) A rule of thumb is to dress 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp. So if it's 40 degrees, dress as if you were going out in 60 degree weather. You'll feel REALLY cold to start, but as you warm up, you won't be sweating as much, and thus won't risk hypothermia.

Have fun!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is to add 20 degrees, to the current temp, and then dress appropriately. I agree about the hat and gloves/mittens, and I love my running jacket with the thumb holes in the sleeves - keeps the wind from going up my arms. The only time I break out the extra wind-breaking layer is when it is down in the single digits or low teens. I love running in the cold; it is actually my favorite running weather! Happy winter running!! :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Each person is different in how they like to do this. But here are a couple of opinions.

http://www.runningincoldweather.com/

and I actually read this one too:

http://www.icebike.com/

A lot of this can get expensinve. I only use the technical shirts and tights as an under layer, and just run in gym shorts and a regular sweat shirt on top of that. I also have a pearl izumi ski mask for when it gets really cold. And gloves, got to have gloves.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump...... I live in Minnesota and would like to continue running during even during the -10F days colder than that, Ill probably just go ice fishing or snow mobiling :-P
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump for later run!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Depends on your climate. Layers are important and nothing cotton. You need fabrics that will wick away the moisture and keep you warm. You could check your local running store and expect to pay a decent chunk of change ($80-$100+) for something like a running jacket. Under Armor Coldgear is good although it just doesn't seem to fit me well. I prefer Nike dri-fit...the fabric for cooler weather is probably comparable between the two but the prefer the Nike fit. I've also gotten name brand gear at places like TJ Maxx or Marshall's for a fraction of the price. Also, Target has some nice and affordable options. I also have a cheap pair of gloves (think dollar store) I grab. Most times I take them off mid-run but it isn't the end of the world if I lose one. Here is a cool little "what to wear guide" from runnersworld.com: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am in Iowa. The winters are very cold here.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    light weight tights/long underwear
    heavy weight tights/long underwear
    some sort of windblocker

light weight long sleeve shirt
    heavy weight long sleeve shirt
    light weight polartec fleece
    heavy weight polartec fleece
    a wind/rain shell

Lay as appropriate based on conditions.

Good socks
    Gloves, if you're that sort of person
    Breathable hat (I like wool, personally)

Craft makes some killer windstopper gear (intended for biking, but I wear mine for almost everything - skiing, shoveling show, hiking, biking, running, etc.). Ibex makes some great wool stuff. Neither are cheap, but good gear is worth it if you're serious about cold weather activities.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Warm gloves
    A good windbreaker
    good socks (I like smart wool)
    Something to cover my ears

Those are my 4 keys, everything else is standard. Tights, longsleeve wicking layers(they don't always have to be super expensive) I got a shirt at costco that is sweet. It's amazing how little i need to wear under my windbreaker even on the coldest days.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Great timing for this post.

I'm running in a marathon on December 4 in Sacramento where the average lows are in the mid-40's. That's not cold to a lot of folks but it is to me 'cause I've been living in Southern California for the past few years. "cold" here is when it drops in the 50's!

Many thanks for the answers, too, folks. Super info!