wii fit

Options
So this is all getting very frustrating to me. Since I live in Wisconsin and have a home daycare it's not easy to squeeze in excercise, school, and family time. I make do with my situation by doing the wii fit free step or free run while watching our "shows" at night. What is frustrating about this is that everywhere I look has different calorie burned totals for the work I am doing. The wii seems to have a standard number that doesn't vary with the intensity, mfp has a set of numbers much lower than the wii, i go online and find another set of numbers with a google search. Is anyone else in this situation? Thoughts, opinions, advice???

Replies

• dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i don't have one but i hear of people getting great responses with a heart rate moniter i guess you wear it like a watch. Hope that helps!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wear my hrm while on the wii and i find that with the jogging i nearly burn twice as much as the wii says. Do u have a hrm ?
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You could also try a pedometer to count the steps and calories burned.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit, and Wii Fit Plus. I recommend Wii Fit Plus, because it tells you how many calories you burn with each activity, I have to get my Wii Fit Board fix or repaired. I had a cousin stomp on it, and it cracked while he was playing on it, but I have had mine 3 and half years. It's a lot of fun on both games, they updated the Plus version to give you calories burned and new fun exercises to do.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I wear my hrm while on the wii and i find that with the jogging i nearly burn twice as much as the wii says. Do u have a hrm ?

This, the best purchase I have ever made was an HRM.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I also just used the calorie burn estimates in Wii Fit Plus. They were never far off from what MFP calculated. When I tried with an HRM, it gave me a much much higher calorie burn and I just could not trust it at all. Better to underestimate your calorie burn, than over-estimate it and think you have a lot of exercise calories to eat back.
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find that my Polar F6 works better, it measures my heart rate, distance and calories burned. There are many different brands and price ranges of the monitors. It sure helped to take out some of the guess work. Hope this helps :blushing:
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have the fit plus.. and the calories are not accurate at all........... If I run 4 miles doing the free run..........for 30 minutes, then walk the free run for the same amount of time (30 minutes) it gives me the exact same calorie burn whether I run in place or just walk.......... your best bet is to get a heart rate monitor. or pause a couple of times and take your pulse and figure calories burned based on your heart rate....
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do hae a witt fit plus but it gives me the same calories burned regardless of how intense of a workout i put in. For example, in the free run I jogged in place at a rate of 4.7 miles in a half hour one day at it said I burned 240 calories. The next day I jogged in place 4 miles in a half hour and it said I burned 240 calories. I want an accurate count and obviously that isn't.
  • beckywilkeherbst
    Options
    how do you meausure your heart rate with accuracy and how do you convert that to calories burned? Doesn't your heart rate vary during the workout? Also, how accurate is it if you don't enter your weight, because doesn't yoru weight factor in?
  • beckywilkeherbst
    Options
    Where does one find a HRM and how much do they cost?