The Power of Adding Incline - More Calories Burned

Options
I just wanted to encourage people to remember the power of adding incline to your treadmill workout.

I don't have a lot of time in my schedule, have goofy knees, am not fond of jogging, and I'm terribly out of shape, but I've found that I can have a much more efficient workout on a treadmill if I add incline. I don't have a lot of time to walk endlessly to just burn a few calories, and I get bored with more than 15 minutes, so I've started trying out different degrees of incline.

Check out this calories-burned calculator (see treadmill listings on the far right).
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

And see the difference between adding just a 5% incline to your workout. Or 10%. Want to really give yourself a challenge? 15% for 5 minutes at 3mph is quite a new treadmill experience for someone like me, and it feels good (well, afterwards it feels good, not during). It's a handy way to make 15 minutes on the treadmill actually feel useful before I head over to the stairmaster... which is another efficient workout machine, by the way. Between 25 minutes of working out between these two, and I can burn over 300 calories. Not too shabby, and I still have time to do some strength exercises and stretch before I dash home to shower and get to work.

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    nice link - thanks!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I always use the treadmill inclined!
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love adding incline (usually only 5%).

Usually I do a mile jogging and walk at an incline the rest of the time. It seems to stretch out my calves and feet, which tend to tighten if I run. Also, watching the calories burned climb powers me through a 35 minute session.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I recommend this all the time--for people who need a higher training stimulus, but cannot or don't like to run.

I also recommend that people go with a pattern of lower speed/higher incline. It's a lot easier to walk, say 2.6 mph and 12%, than it is to walk 4 mph and 6%. grade--both will burn roughly the same calories.

One caveat, however--you cannot hold on to the handrails. If you do, you negate a lot of the benefits and calorie-burning effects, especially as the incline increases.

A study once showed that, walking at 4mph/15% incline, holding on reduced the work intensity (and calorie burn) by 67%.

If you can't handle the speed/incline without holding on, then lower one of the two until you can.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I recommend this all the time--for people who need a higher training stimulus, but cannot or don't like to run.

I also recommend that people go with a pattern of lower speed/higher incline. It's a lot easier to walk, say 2.6 mph and 12%, than it is to walk 4 mph and 6%. grade--both will burn roughly the same calories.

One caveat, however--you cannot hold on to the handrails. If you do, you negate a lot of the benefits and calorie-burning effects, especially as the incline increases.

A study once showed that, walking at 4mph/15% incline, holding on reduced the work intensity (and calorie burn) by 67%.

If you can't handle the speed/incline without holding on, then lower one of the two until you can.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights.....very useful information!~
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the link!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Thank you for talking about not holding on. It drives me crazy seeing people at the gym with huge inclines and death grips on the bars so they can keep moving. If these people could see the angles that they are at as well as realize that when you're holding on it's negating so much of the benefit of the incline, I'd bet they'd stop. One girl in front me last week was leaning so far back while on the treadmill her ponytail was hanging straight out off the back of her head instead of flipping down her back. I even watched one guy get on a treadmill and strap on weight-lifting gloves to grab the bar when he cranked up the incline to a crazy amount.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Thank you for talking about not holding on. It drives me crazy seeing people at the gym with huge inclines and death grips on the bars so they can keep moving. If these people could see the angles that they are at as well as realize that when you're holding on it's negating so much of the benefit of the incline, I'd bet they'd stop. One girl in front me last week was leaning so far back while on the treadmill her ponytail was hanging straight out off the back of her head instead of flipping down her back. I even watched one guy get on a treadmill and strap on weight-lifting gloves to grab the bar when he cranked up the incline to a crazy amount.

I started laughing out loud at the mental picture of the pony tail hanging out.......that was great!

But even more DISGUSTING is having to wipe the sweat stains OFF THE BACK OF THE TREADMILL CONSOLE. Not the handrails, or the motor housing or other places that you normally have to clean--the back of the console from sweat dripping off people's hands as they hold on.

I've tried mentioning this to people when I see it (them holding on), but it's so ingrained it's like a religious rite to them--they became so offended, I had to back off.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    BUMP!! I need this because I cant seem to get my HR up high enough just walking without an incline.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    stupid question: does an incline of 2.0 = 2% incline?? not sure how this works... normally i start at 3.0 and work my way up but still unsure of what exactly the 3.0 stands for
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a holder at a 3 incline. Honestly, I am just afraid of falling of the thing....
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Ugh.....I sooo hate doing incline! My friend, Kerri (verykerri), always tells me to incline when we're at the gym together. Thank you for the reminder!
  • waltzingfree
    waltzingfree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressed with the response. I find such inspiration simply browsing the forums, I never really post myself.

Thanks for the comments about handrail holding. I agree completely, though I personally struggle with balance at times. A good reminder!

And yes, my understanding is that yes, 3.0 is the equivalent of 3%, but that's my assumption. If someone knows differently, please chirp up! :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer gave me three cardio programs all with a inclines that start at 2% and go up to 12%.

It still amazes me how fast my heart rate jumps at 12%... I do hold on, but only to slow my heart rate back down and then let go to speed it back up.. and this goes on for the length of the program.
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    I just wanted to encourage people to remember the power of adding incline to your treadmill workout.

I don't have a lot of time in my schedule, have goofy knees, am not fond of jogging, and I'm terribly out of shape, but I've found that I can have a much more efficient workout on a treadmill if I add incline. I don't have a lot of time to walk endlessly to just burn a few calories, and I get bored with more than 15 minutes, so I've started trying out different degrees of incline.

Check out this calories-burned calculator (see treadmill listings on the far right).
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

And see the difference between adding just a 5% incline to your workout. Or 10%. Want to really give yourself a challenge? 15% for 5 minutes at 3mph is quite a new treadmill experience for someone like me, and it feels good (well, afterwards it feels good, not during). It's a handy way to make 15 minutes on the treadmill actually feel useful before I head over to the stairmaster... which is another efficient workout machine, by the way. Between 25 minutes of working out between these two, and I can burn over 300 calories. Not too shabby, and I still have time to do some strength exercises and stretch before I dash home to shower and get to work.

I can definitely agree with you! On my lighter cardio days I'll pump up the treadmill to 15% at 3.5-4mph and it's a great way to get your body in the fat burning zone. It also helps work your calves and your glutes, all great things :smile:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks for the info
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am a holder also. Because I have multiple sclerosis and have balance issues I would lean to my weak side which is my left side. I have tried without holding and it may last for like 30 seconds then I start losing my balance. I always wipe my workout stations when I finish.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hate running, and I'm a klutz, so I stick with walking at an incline, except for occasional bursts of jogging if I feel like it. I either walk at 3-3.5 mph and 8-12 incline, or I choose the "alpine" setting on my treadmill, which has me climbing imaginary hills of up to 15 incline.

There is a way to log "walking uphill". I adjust the time on mfp until the calorie count is what the treadmill showed. It's been working for me.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I've been walking about about 5 days a week for 3 weeks (sporadically before that.) I've been afraid to raise the incline but, I will try it next time.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    3.8 mph at 8 degree incline keeps my heart rate around 145 bpm.

SIDE NOTE: If you hold on it's cheating! My HRM shows my heart rate to slow about 10 bpm when I hold on.

Hydrate often!