Don't take anything unless FDA approved But...

Options
** I'm bringing this subject up because someone one was on the message boards yesterday from the UK trying to sell some Diet Pills says she lost weight on and wants us to email or call her brother in the UK for a supply. THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL out there. The best diet Center Club was was Weight Watchers back in the 70's, weighing your food, counting calories, eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, exercise and at least 8 glasses of water (not counting tea, coffee, Crystal Light-just plain water). That means 3-4 ounces of protein/meat for dinner and lunch... Men get around 6 ounces) And no late night snacks... You'll burn more fat sleeping without them. (My Oncologist also backs all of this up. And every nutritionist I have worked with follows the same guidelines.)
We only have one body.. So we have to take care of it.. No one knows the side affects of these different pills on the market... What it does to our heart, kidneys, liver etc... And they are only short term. If we don't control what we put in our mouths and the calories we burn.. We won't win the battle and stay healthy. (*Sorry to vent so early... but the UK Post was late last night and I couldn't respond to her / had to get 2 toddlers to bed. Now I can't find the Post on the message board.) Everyone have a great day! And stay warm! :drinker: Salute to you for the start of another awesome day! :smile:

Replies

• beagle595
    Options
    ** I'm bringing this subject up because someone one was on the message boards yesterday from the UK trying to sell some Diet Pills says she lost weight on and wants us to email or call her brother in the UK for a supply. THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL out there. The best diet Center Club was was Weight Watchers back in the 70's, weighing your food, counting calories, eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, exercise and at least 8 glasses of water (not counting tea, coffee, Crystal Light-just plain water). That means 3-4 ounces of protein/meat for dinner and lunch... Men get around 6 ounces) And no late night snacks... You'll burn more fat sleeping without them. (My Oncologist also backs all of this up. And every nutritionist I have worked with follows the same guidelines.)
    We only have one body.. So we have to take care of it.. No one knows the side affects of these different pills on the market... What it does to our heart, kidneys, liver etc... And they are only short term. If we don't control what we put in our mouths and the calories we burn.. We won't win the battle and stay healthy. (*Sorry to vent so early... but the UK Post was late last night and I couldn't respond to her / had to get 2 toddlers to bed. Now I can't find the Post on the message board.) Everyone have a great day! And stay warm! :drinker: Salute to you for the start of another awesome day! :smile:
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Totally agree... there is no magic pill, no quick fix and no easy solution.

And no true MFP'er would ever try to "sell" anything to anyone else - we're all here to help each other, not make a buck. Good post!

:glasses:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I totally agree, didn't see the post, nor do I want to. Like you said, what will it do to our bodies? It'll prob do one of two things, make you drop weight then when your off, you'll gain or kill you. Maybe this is where all the cancer is coming from??? All these nasty pills and pesticides we use :noway:
  • LucyJ
    LucyJ Posts: 13
    Options
    ...and besides, isn't there a myfitnesspal rule that you aren't allowed to use the forums for commercial advertisements?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    People want the quick fix, and that's the issue. This may press some buttons, but I'm going to be blunt. None of us got fat overnight. It took months, years, decades for some of us. Do you think that years of bad habits can, or even should be fixed overnight? The weight is a symptom - it isn't the problem. Bad habits are the problem, and there's no magic little pill to fix them.

So, if you take the shortcut, you lose some weight, but still keep the exact same habits. What happens when you stop taking the pill then? Since you're sticking to those bad habits, you balloon right back up - and in my anecdotal experience, people usually end up about 10-15% heavier than where they started.

THE ONLY PROVEN SOLUTION TO WEIGHT PROBLEMS IS PROPER EATING, AND EXERCISE.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    yes ithere is a rule the post was probably removed. I reported it and I saw that a bunch of other people did as well.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    and my fav WATER
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I saw it too and I think a lot of people did report it. Sounded like a lot of spam and stupidity!!
  • beagle595
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that reported it... Sorry I didn't have time to do it... If I don't get my 3 and 4 yr boys off to bed on time.. All HELL breaks loose! Have a great day! :explode: :noway: :laugh: (I'm a smiley junkie/ email)
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that reported it... Sorry I didn't have time to do it... If I don't get my 3 and 4 yr boys off to bed on time.. All HELL breaks loose! Have a great day! :explode: :noway: :laugh: (I'm a smiley junkie/ email)

Me too!! I find some really cute ones on photobucket and just love em!
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I too reported the post. It gets tiring to see those posts but what i'm even more concerned about is the new people who aren't well informed. Maybe someone would e-mail and buy them. Its crazy. The only way to weight loss is diet and excersize. I wont even take alli and that is FDA approved. All theese pills scare me!
  • beagle595
    Options
    I too reported the post. It gets tiring to see those posts but what i'm even more concerned about is the new people who aren't well informed. Maybe someone would e-mail and buy them. Its crazy. The only way to weight loss is diet and excersize. I wont even take alli and that is FDA approved. All theese pills scare me!
    My Oncologist was going to put me on Alli before it was even out on the market. But he found out it would block my Synthroid from being absorbed. (which in turn would stimulate my cancer that's in remission) * So WHAT ELSE does it block in the digestive track... vitamins... other prescriptions... Scary!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I too reported the post... both times it showed up.

The thing I notice though... we may all KNOW there is no miracle drug... but how many times on the boards have we seen that Acai berry come up, or colon cleanses, etc.

The point is... the weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar business. Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, Golds Gym, Curves, Alli, Carb Blocker, etc.... they are ALL part of it. Many people take supplements, FEW are FDA approved and not ALL are for fat/weight loss.

So, before we go an alinate those who DO choose to take them, knowing the risks (that are labeled...not to say their aren't more), lets take a step back.... take a big breathe... and relax.

Diet and exercise truly is the way to do it, but for whatever reasons.... some need "something more."
    :heart: