acupuncture??

Options
lindseyb317
lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
just wondering if anyone on here has had acupuncture? my doctor wants me to try it, and i just wanted to know if anyone noticed a benefit? also, how often did you have to go and for how long? thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had a neck injury and 2 surgeries. I did acupuncture 2 x wk for 2 years. It helped a little but not enough that I would recommend it. Good stress relief.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I recently had something terrible going on in my shoulder/neck and had an acupuncture treatment for it, my first one ever. It took pain I had for 50+ hours away in just one hour! I was so skeptical going in, but it definitely helped. Three days later the pain is still gone and I have full mobility back - before i could barely turn my head 10 degrees without wanting to cry.

I have friends who swear by it for their allergies and migraines, I plan on going twice a month for migraine prevention. It's also wonderfully relaxing.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    not acupuncture but i have done acupressure and it worked wonders for me previously
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i went for fertility. it didn't help me, but has been proven to help 1/3 of pcos patients.

i think it depends on what you are going for. good luck!
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    gotcha. i am going for neck pain and frequent migraines.. im hoping they help but im worried about the cost..
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had accupuncture on my sciatica a few wks ago. Only.had 1 session. Initially it felt a lot better but the next day stiffened up again. However the day after I could only feel a very dull ache. I'd defo do it again. My partner had electro-acupuncture on his back a couple of yrs ago. He could hardly move, literally just laying on the floor for 5 weeks. After 1 session he was a lot more mobile, it was unbelievable. He had 5 session in total but was totally worth it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Meh. While I'm sure that disrupting the electrical impulses that relay "pain" to the brain is real, the whole hokey "energy field" and "chi" claims lead me to not believing in it. I had is done for sciatica and initially it felt better when it was administered, but within a few hours I felt the "tingle" in my glute again.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've had it a couple times to treat intense migraines that wouldn't go away.

It worked for me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It creeps me out just thinking about it...
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had it three times for my lower back pain three years ago, haven't had it since. The Acupuncture or the back pain,
  • stevinjohn
    Options
    H:sick: ave not had one,looks painful though
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have had it done a lot and I think it was very beneficial. It doesn't hurt at all to put the needles in - in fact, you don't feel it at all they are so fine. What you may feel is heat once they're in and it is an odd sensation when your body works them out and they fall out.

BUT I didn't try it for myself until I had seen it done.

When I was riding professionally one of my horses was 3-legged lame. She could not bear any weight at all on one of her hind legs. After more than a week of western veterinary medicine bringing her no relief you could see the agony on her face. The acupuncturist was called and started placing needles at various points. Then she said "this spot here is called the aspirin point because it's so effective for pain management." She put the needle in and within seconds my horse's face melted - her eyes drooped and her whole demeanor changed. Within an hour she was bearing weight on the leg again.

She never fully recovered because the problem was inoperable bone chips - but a horse isn't capable of the placebo effect. She was actually quite annoyed to be worked on. But the effect was undeniable.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's worked wonders for me, quite a few of my friends, and my best friend's 3-legged dog :-)
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm an acupuncturist, PM me if you would like to to have a chat.

Hilary
This discussion has been closed.