Oven-Fried Chicken Chimichangas

Options
gingermoon
gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
A fast and healthier way to serve Chimichangas than the traditional deep fried.

45 min | 20 min prep
6 Chimichangas

2/3 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 tablespoon butter, melted
chopped green onion, for serving
picante sauce, for serving

Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
Fold opposite sides over filling.
Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
Brush tops with melted margarine.
Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.

Replies

• gingermoon
    Options
    A fast and healthier way to serve Chimichangas than the traditional deep fried.

45 min | 20 min prep
    6 Chimichangas

2/3 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
    1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    2 green onions, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
    6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    chopped green onion, for serving
    picante sauce, for serving

Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
    Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
    Fold opposite sides over filling.
    Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
    Brush tops with melted margarine.
    Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
    Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    That looks good!! :love:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    that all looks good except for the MARGERINE!!! YUCK!! any idea whats in that stuff? You should look into it. My family and I used to use margerine because we, like most people, were always lead to believe that it was healthier than butter. To my surprize upon researching the topic I found that butter is the best. You just have to use it in moderation that's all. Margerine is a synthetic, no matter which way you slice it. Butter is all natural and can be broken down by the body, margerine can not and is being linked with nerve damage and other nasty things like that... even some chronic diseases. Im not trying to rain on your parade, I just saw this as an opportunity to educate other people about margerine. You could easily replace the M-word with butter in this recipe.
  • gingermoon
    Options
    that all looks good except for the MARGERINE!!! YUCK!! any idea whats in that stuff? You should look into it. My family and I used to use margerine because we, like most people, were always lead to believe that it was healthier than butter. To my surprize upon researching the topic I found that butter is the best. You just have to use it in moderation that's all. Margerine is a synthetic, no matter which way you slice it. Butter is all natural and can be broken down by the body, margerine can not and is being linked with nerve damage and other nasty things like that... even some chronic diseases. Im not trying to rain on your parade, I just saw this as an opportunity to educate other people about margerine. You could easily replace the M-word with butter in this recipe.

I agree with you.....
    I never use margArine. I only all use natural ingredients.

While I admire your passion for someting you believe in, your approach comes off alittle too preachy.

I was typing the recipe in a hurry and my fingers typed margarine when I meant to type butter.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    or maybe they can be sprayed a bit with pam or non stick spray? I do that so my oven enchiladas and they crisp up nicely:wink: I agree with the margarine being bad, I once heard they created it for turkey farmers to fatten them up, but the farmers wouldn't buy it so they flavored it to sell it to you guess who :laugh:
  • lucmclaren381
    Options
    :smile: Sounds lovely, whats the measurement for 1 cup in this recipe - im in uk so not used to the cups and i've been told a cup is 8oz but then told 6oz!! My cups are different sized LOL!!!
    :ohwell:
  • MattySparky
    Options

While I admire your passion for someting you believe in, your approach comes off alittle too preachy.

are you kidding me? I was trying to point out a fact about margerine that you may or may not have known and it was for your benefit as well as anyone else who might read the post, that's it. There wasn't one point in my short bit about margerine where I was preaching, I was just briefly stating facts. This is, after all, a public site where people come for advice and read posts looking for information isn't it? The only thing Im passionate about is facts and making sure that other people get the whole picture on this site. I didn't realize that replying to your post would be categorized as "a little too preachy"... point taken though gingermoon, Ill make sure to keep helpful information out of your posts for fear of being labeled a preacher.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    A great way to "crisp up" something like that is to spread a little egg white on the tortilla before baking it.

You can skip the butter or margarine all together!! :wink: :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    A great way to "crisp up" something like that is to spread a little egg white on the tortilla before baking it.

You can skip the butter or margarine all together!! :wink: :drinker:

That is an awesome idea!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ratayrob
    ratayrob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Organic Olive Oil Spray is a good alternative. I make a similar recipe and use London Broil cooked and finely chopped. It is a very lean cut of beef.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Organic Olive Oil Spray is a good alternative. I make a similar recipe and use London Broil cooked and finely chopped. It is a very lean cut of beef.
    Those are good ideas too!!