This Whole Jillian Michaels Craze, and Working At An Appropr

Options
Dear exercisers of the world,

Especially to those of you starting out, I want to point out that you must remember to monitor how your body feels, and work at the appropriate level. An MFP friend just reported back pain after completing a Shred workout, and I'm not surprised.

The greatest thing, I believe, about the Biggest Loser, is that it's showed people that they are almost definitely not going to die or seriously hurt themselves beyond getting sore if they exercise harder than is comfortable. And Jillian Michaels, completely unknown to me 10 years ago, and to a lesser extent Bob Harper, have shot to massive levels of popularity and financial success with their various products, including training DVDs, and they do deserve it.

But they're not the only trainers in the world, and Jillian, whose 30-Day Shred I do own and perform sometimes, doesn't even make my list of favorite video/celebrity trainers, having used workout vids since the mid-90s. Furthermore, their "proven formulas" might not be perfect for everyone, especially with regard to level appropriateness.

Now, I TOTALLY believe that IF you can get through one of these workouts without hurting your back or raising your HR over about 85% of your training zone, you should just keep doing them, with modifications if needed. But if you don't already know about form, and you're a beginner exerciser, and your abdominals, back, butt and quads are weak, I don't know that you can safely even test out one of these videos. If you don't know about form, how would you know how to test the (rather lengthy) forward-leaning row moves that, while well-enough supported for a reasonably fit person with bent legs and engaged abs, WILL probably hurt the back of a new exerciser and/or a person with back issues? Just for example.

Furthermore, for the five-hundredth time this week, I totally recommend doing some real investigation with some video vendors or communities who at least provide reviews. My absolute favorite is www.collagevideo.com, which provides in-depth, objective descriptions written by certified trainers on their staff, and most videos tested by most of their staff. They won't sell anything they don't think is good, they perform every video, provide detailed time breakdowns, and rate the choreography, aerobic/fitness level, and impact level of every video. You can easily find excellent options for beginner or beginner/intermediate fitness levels and watch longer clips to confirm you can do most moves safely, if you're less educated or very new to exercising. (I do NOT recommend buying equipment from them, it's all full-price and not great value at this stage of the game.) Anyway, I seriously recommend this or a careful review of amazon or other user reviews, and getting form coaching in person, if possible, from a trainer at the Y or a gym, and of course following any doctor's advice that's relevant to you.

That is: you DON'T need to kill yourself worshipping at the Church of Jillian Michaels. There are probably some better and more fun alternatives, whatever your level, at least to mix in, but definitely to rely on instead if you're facing pain or injury with these tougher, bootcamp-style workouts.

AND PS - I don't care if she tells us that 400-pound people can do jumping jacks so there's no modification... If you, like my mother, for instance, have a herniated disk, your doctor will tell you NO high-impact, jumping movements. Or, if your knees are bum. And a gajillion other instructors have made low-jacks work for people for these very reasons...

Play safe and have fun!

x -Fury

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Collage video is one of my favorite websites, too.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand Jillian Michaels.............dont' like to look at her, don't want to listen to her. She's making a gazillion dollars being a beyatch................personally, I won't support that.
  • tburnett80
    tburnett80 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank for the information!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been doing 30DS and I'm 320 lbs. It's hard, and I do stop a couple of times to catch a breath, but otherwise I can do it without too much issue. Now when I first started, i had nasty shin splints that I had to ice down. Thankfully those have gone away and I can continue without issue.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    AND PS - I don't care if she tells us that 400-pound people can do jumping jacks so there's no modification... If you, like my mother, for instance, have a herniated disk, your doctor will tell you NO high-impact, jumping movements. Or, if your knees are bum. And a gajillion other instructors have made low-jacks work for people for these very reasons...

:noway: You mean....Jillian Michaels isn't the be all-end all of fitness expertise??!! BUT SHE YELLS AT FAT PEOPLE TO DO MORE LUNGES!!!!
  • harley_rose
    Options
    Yesterday I had attempted note the word attempted 30DS and threw my knee out doing the squats... I told my daughter I can do other strength training.. She isn't the only trainer out there that will get me fit...

Thanks for the post
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love the results from the 30DS, but even though I'm pretty fit at this point I'm still overweight and have a few issues. This is WHY I tore my bicep and am now in PT for it. It really sucks as I can't do a lot of stuff I want to. If you watch the show you'll see that the contestants do injure themselves. I remember one season one of the girls got a stress fracture and was unable to do pretty much ANY exercise. That is what happens when you are that overweight/unhealthy and you push your body that hard. It's not right!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :happy: glad everyone's on the same page with me, here! I just feel like there are a lot of people who, nowadays, when they set out to get fit, all there is in the world is Jillian Michaels staring them in the face, and they know it's worked for TBL, so they just go with it!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    THIS. POST. IS. AWESOME. thx!! i've thought this many-a-time :happy:
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LOL, at first I thought this was going to be another Jillian Michaels is the devil threads, which I do not agree with, but you made some excellent points and obviously know what you're talking about. I've been doing the 30 DS regularly for awhile now and have had great success. So much as to that friends and co-workers have been asking me what I was doing to lose so much weight. When I'm asked that question I tell them about the 30 DS and MFP, but I also explain the video and point out the high impact moves and that listening to your body and doing modifications are perfectly fine. I always laughed in level 1 when she says "If 400 lb people can do jumping jacks so can you" I started at 189 lbs and with a minor sports injury in my knee there was no way I was going to do that many of them. So I made a modification and still have had amazing results. This video has worked great for me, but when my Mom (65 yrs old with multiple knee surgeries) asked me to help her pick out a workout video I steered her in the direction of the walk at home videos. There is no way she could get through even level 1 of 30 DS with her ailments. My biggest recommendation when people want to start a video program would be to talk with your doctor first. Ask he/she what types of exercises they would recommend for your specific body type and ailments.

Personally if I ever met Jillian Michaels I'd probably thank her, but I have to admit that her videos are not for everyone.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to make this post. Very informative.
  • Sashanichole111
    Options
    I just did one of the 30Shred routines. I did half of it because I just re-started working.

Where do you find that work out in the exercise journal?

I am not sore, and I know I didn't do the full thing, I'll build up to doing more than half of the routine. My body actually feels refreshed, I feel awake, maybe it's my cutting out soda, and replacing it with unsweetened tea.

I think I'm going to keep at this workout.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jillian's DVDs so far but I still appreciate this post. I've done 30 DS and I'm currently doing 6 week / 6 pack along with other cardio workouts. I agree that these videos may not be for everyone, especially Levels 2 and 3 (on 30 DS). One of my 1st workout videos is Denise Austin's Sizzler. I think it's only on VHS, that's how old it is (1997). I also like Denise Austin's Cardio Blast which is newer. Sizzler and other videos (like Walk Away the Pounds) helped me long before I knew who Jillian was. Anyway, your points are well taken and I will check out collagevideo.com.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You're going to get much better results from high intensity exercise than you will from keeping your HR in the "fat burning zone." So while I don't know much about Jillian's programs, her high intensity workouts are probably quite effective.

Obviously injury is a possibility with any exercise. I've pulled my back multiple times throughout my life by playing sports, lifting weights, pushing myself too hard, etc. Injuries stink, but they usually get better. If you're so afraid of injury that you never push yourself you'll probably hinder yourself.

In regard to back pain, anyone who's out of shape is going to get pains when they start exercising. It's up to your friend to know her own limits. I doubt it's that serious.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you don't know about form, how would you know how to test the (rather lengthy) forward-leaning row moves that, while well-enough supported for a reasonably fit person with bent legs and engaged abs, WILL probably hurt the back of a new exerciser and/or a person with back issues? Just for example.
    I have horrible back issues, have for 20 years or so and have found that I have no issues with my back hurting anymore then it does on a daily basis and since starting 30D along with walking and weights and I have found my back is hurting less and less as I get stronger. I did notice when I first started I did have knee pain, but once I realized my poor form and focused on that, my knee soreness and pain disappeared.

I HATE the jumping jacks lol I don't have any serious problems that prevent high impact but I do still do a modified jumping jack and jump rope because of front bouncing :wink: causes soreness in my shoulders even with a very supportive sports bra lol

I get what your saying and just like past "celebrity" trainers in a few years her and bob will be old news and there will be a new round of new popular trainers. But I do have to say I LOVE the 30D and not because of Jillian, if that were the case I would have started using back when she first started coming out with her own line of DVD's but didn't start using it until I started hearing so many good things about it.. For me I have found that it really works my butt off literally lol. Before I tried it I watched level 1 all the way through and thought to myself there is no way I could make it all the way through it even if its only 20 minutes. So I tried it and had to take several breaks for the first few days. Now I can get beginning to end with no breaks and that in its own is making me feel better about me. When people ask me about it I say the same thing, try it and if you like it keep using it. If you need to make modifications then do so even if she doesn't provide them like the JJ I do a modified JJ that was shown on another DVD where you still use your arms but alternate legs and step to the side. Still serves what that move is suppose to do which is up the heart rate. Anyway now I am rambling lol I guess I just want other to know that even if you think you can't try it, you will more then likely surprise yourself and find that you really CAN ( and this goes for any workout whether walking, jogging, running, workout DVD's or weights) :)
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I was just commenting on this last night to my sister. It's Jillian's "no modifications offered" jumping jacks that I'm fairly certain injured my knee (well that an likely really poor form as I'm coming off the couch).

I wish I would have read something like this before purchasing the DVD and hurt myself. I hope your message comes through loud and clear for others who are like me. Thanks for posting. This helps build my self esteem with regard to exercise back up a bit!
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're going to get much better results from high intensity exercise than you will from keeping your HR in the "fat burning zone." So while I don't know much about Jillian's programs, her high intensity workouts are probably quite effective.

Obviously injury is a possibility with any exercise. I've pulled my back multiple times throughout my life by playing sports, lifting weights, pushing myself too hard, etc. Injuries stink, but they usually get better. If you're so afraid of injury that you never push yourself you'll probably hinder yourself.

In regard to back pain, anyone who's out of shape is going to get pains when they start exercising. It's up to your friend to know her own limits. I doubt it's that serious.

Exactly! It's commonsense to watch the workout and try the moves AFTER you heard the explination of form and what not to do. If you aren't comftorable with jumping jacks you obviously shouldn't be doing them and need to look up an alternative. IMO, jumping jacks are one of the easiest moves in this and she doesn't say that there isn't a modified version. She just states that she isn't going to give it to you. This is probably because she wants people to push themselves to be better an not take the easy way out by doing modified versions of everything. Again, if it hurts or is genuinely uncomfortable you need to find something else to do in its place instead of pushing through an injuring yourself and then blaming the DVD.
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    BUMP!