Shopping list on a college budget, help?

Options
Alright, I need to make a list of things that I can get to stock up my mini fridge and some snacks that are healthy but cheap.

For example, I typically buy Kroger Wheat bread, lunch meat, pretzels, unsalted peanuts, pitta pockets, cheese, some vegies etc. and eat it for lunch since I'm on the go ALL the time. I also have stuff like rice, but my roomates have been getting annoying about food storage and sharing so I'm stocking my room and mini fridge on my own.

What are some cheap-ish but good and healthy food and snacks? I have been doing pretty good at buying this way all summer, but I'm seeing if theirs anything new I might want to try.

Thanks =)

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I could definitely use some help on this topic as well! BUMP!
  • Bump for sure(:
  • nikki91950
    Options
    frozen dinners, cheese sticks, granola bars, cottage cheese, egg beaters or eggs (both really cheap!), sugar free jello and pudding
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bananas and apples with peanut butter
    100 cal packs
    granola bars
    carrots
    edamame
    lean cuisine and smart one steamers
    lean pockets
    veggie wraps
    yogurt with blueberries or granola
    fruits/veggies

:)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was a student for 6 years, and was very much on a student budget:
    - Oats (make your own pre-measured out packets in re-sealable with things like brown sugar, raisins, sweetner- whatever you like)
    - Quinoia (it puffs up huge and is a great grain protein source)
    - Canned tuna
    - Pita bread (try to make your own!)
    - Eggs
    - dry cereal (whatever is healthy and on sale- all bran, special k, mini-wheats- you can mix them together in one bag to make it as healthy/filling/cheap as you want)
    - Check out bulk stores (in Canada we had bulk barn) for dried fruit, cereals, nuts, etc.
    - Cabbage (find a way to make it that you like!) It is an insanely cheap veggie

Try to avoid pre-made/ pre-cut meals, you pay more for that added value, but you could do that work yourself.
  • aimee_md
    Options
    My weekly shopping list:
    Tesco brown bread- 1Euro
    3tins weight watchers spaghetti in tomato sauce- 30cent each I think
    pack of 3 peppers- 1 euro
    Tesco eggs-1 euro
    Pack of mandarins- 1 something
    Litre bottle of evian water- 1 something
    Twinings pure green tea- 1.90
    Mixed salad 2euro
    Sweet corn- less than a euro
    Tesco slim milk- 1 euro
    3pack cans of john west tuna in sunflower oil-2 something
    Multigrain rivitas
    Cup a soups

TOTAL comes to about 14 or 15 euro for me
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Some people knock coupons, or think they are a lot of effort, but you can save big bucks using them! Even if you just save the coupons from a single weekend paper and keep them in a drawer or folder it will help!

If you want to try printing coupons offline, try hip2save.com. They have a coupon database that lets you type in a product and shows you where you can find those coupons. Like if you type Tide you fill find links to coupons online that you can print, and also an index of which papers they were in, in case you saved the weekend coupons.

I save tons of money... even if you can't find everything you want, saving a few dollars a week is awesome on a college budget.

Last night, I got shampoo, bodywash, cat food, laundry soap, some zuchini and mushrooms, wheat pasta and mozzerella cheese. My total cost was less than $5. Coupons are worth the time and effort!!!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've come up with so far

Fruit & Cream Instant Oatmeal
    Toasted Oats Cereal
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    Lunch meat ham
    lunch meat turkey
    Apple Juice
    Fruit Juice
    Wraps
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Canned Tuna
    Apples
    Peppers
    Potatoes
    Green Tea Mix
    Half gallon of milk
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    old fashioned oats (they can be microwaved) add your own fruit of a little sugar, this is so much better for you than the little packest.

greek yogurt, look for them on sale. $1 to 1.25 may seem like alot but if that's all or most of your breakfest it's not to bad.

bananas

natural almonds a bit more expensevie but you should only have a few at a tiem anyways

peanut butter

baby carrots

I totally clip coupons. if yo umatch your coupons to the sales in the adds you can save even more. Just don't clip a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Good Luck!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bu,mp