I eat 2 peices of fruit and I am over on my sugar!!!

2»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I never even look at my sugar.

I once did a report for a month on my sugar, and was way, way over every day.

But, maybe that's what's making this not only bearable, but actually enjoyable for me, and that's far more important than cutting stuff out and ending up giving up.
  • fructose> sucrose
    your body digests table sugar differently than it does the natural sugar from fruits.
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Mine is always over as well. It's nearly all from fruit and dairy. The only added sugar I've had today was from a non-diet fruit yoghurt and a tablespoon of chutney. I'm not going to worry about it unless it's coming from chocolate, sweets, sugary cereals, non-diet drinks etc.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Table sugar = sucrose

Sucrose is a combination of one molecule glucose and one molecule fructose. Your body splits the sucrose to create the fructose and glucose before it can digest it any further.

Glucose is the currency of the realm in many of your body's energy reactions. The brain can't use anything else for energy.

You also break down starches into glucose. And the body can create its own glucose from a storage product called glycogen when you are fasting (under normal conditions).

Fructose is sweeter than the larger, more calorie-packed molecule sucrose, so generally you can eat less calories for the same amount of sweetness when you are eating fruit/juice. However, eating foods full of added fructose, such as high-fructose corn syrup, is associated with obesity. Fructose is metabolized mostly the same way glucose is, though it requires a different transformation to enter the chain of reactions. There's still a lot of controversy about what, if anything, is wrong with fructose other than the fact that we eat too much of it in processed foods. But there's no intrinsically good vs. bad sugar -- it's a question of how much you are eating, and if you're eating the less-sweet sucrose, you're probably eating more of it. Sucrose is just as natural as fructose -- the only way it is "processed" is to purify it from the fibers and residues of the sugar cane or beets which produce it.