why am I always hungry??

Options
2»

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    hard to say... it would help if we knew your weight so we could compare your caloric intake with your caloric requirements.

Eating what you are eating would be fine if you were 120 pounds... but not so much if you are 250. Your metabolism would stall.

How many calories does MFP say you should consume in a day? How many are you eating now?

Are you exercising and eating back your exercise calories? To achieve healthy weight loss, most people need to have a 500 calorie deficit per day. Move too far beyond that and your metabolism crashes.

Are you drinking sufficiently? Thirst is often confused for hunger.

Many questions, hopefully they will help you find the answers.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I would guess not eating enough? (Mind blowing concept, I know.)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You need to increase your protein and fiber intak. It takes longer to burn off, thus, the feeling of hunger doesn't happen as quickly. Carbs burn off very fast. Having a sandwich and some chips at lunch will burn off very quickly because of the increase in carbs ( and preservatives/fillers that exist in both the chips and the sandwhich filling - depending on the kind you had.) If you're going to have a sandwich try adding another protein to the side instead of the chips - a couple slices of cheese or babybel, a hard boiled egg, or beef jerky (beware of the sodium overload there tho') In some cases it's better to switch up your lunch with your typical Dinner i.e) heavier lunch, lighter Dinner. Eat more frequently, but small amounts. Toss in a mid day Babybel, or a handful of almonds. Drink plenty of water as sometimes thirst masks itself with the feeling of hunger. Hope that helps, it did for me as I was having the same problem.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you eating within your calorie goals? How much are you exericising? What's your water intake like? Agree with others as well, regarding more veggies/fiber. The past few days I've had that insatiable feeling as well, but living in a climate that's getting colder I know it's my body preparing for winter. I am trying to eat more protein throughout the day. I know yogurt does NOTHING to hold me! I've learned certain foods and food combinations won't hold me as well. It sounds like you need to mix up some of yours. And make sure your adding LOTS of veggies and whole wheat bread to that sandwich! :)
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    add more protein and drink lots of water
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch the lunchtime chips and go for cucumber slices, raw broccoli crowns and baby carrots dipped in tzatziki made with 2%fat greek yogurt.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this is going to sound crazy, but don't eat wheat.
    A lot of people will likely roll their eyes, but honestly, it helps.
    I suggest picking up the book Wheat Belly. It describes how wheat elevates your blood sugar more than any other food (seriously, even more than white sugar). So once you eat a sandwich or a cookie, your blood sugar goes up... then about an hour or two later, your blood sugar plummets. This causes an artificial feeling of hunger, causing you to feel like you need to eat more.
    Seriously, it's all in the book, and it might help you, I know it helped me.

Best of luck.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old son would be hungry on that diet
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i would switch to whole grains, if thats not hte case now, that will keep you fuller longer.l
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    More water, protein and whole grains (read fiber). Also, if you're just starting give yourself a couple weeks to adjust to the reduction in calories and try to sleep a little more if you can. You're body will adjust to the difference in diet and you'll stop feeling starved over time especially if you rest and stay hydrated.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have to agree with what has already been said: Are you eating your goal? If you are under, your body thinks its starving. As stated before, bulking out your meals with fruits and veggies high in fiber will help. Our bodies don't digest fiber (bacteria in our intestines do it for us) so it makes you feel fuller longer.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of carbs. I'd up the protein and fat and cut down on the bread/pasta/cookies/chips/etc.
    YES this! More protein and veggies less empty carbs
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry!! I will eat regular meals and some times a snack here and there..but I am still hungry, I mean to the point where my stomache is growling..
    Breakfast:
    Piece of toast, egg, cottage cheese with fruit
    Lunch:
    Sandwich, handful of chips, yogurt
    Snack:
    a cookie or cheese cubes or celery with peanut butter
    Dinner:
    Pasta with chicken, small salad, maybe a dinner roll
    I mean what am I doing wrong?? why am I always hungry??
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cut down on all the starchy carbs. I'd be starving too if I ate that much pasta, chips, cookies, toast, etc. Substitute more protein and veggies for those items.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    WATER!!!!!!!!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    take a look at the glycemic index for the food you are eating. Lots of times, the foods you are eating are the culprit for feeling hungry sooner and such a ravenous rate.
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    If you are eating the right amount of calories, then maybe you are thinking about food way too much. A new hobby could take your mind off it.
  • rsparks38
    Options
    I would get your blood sugar checked. I am hardly a poster child for those sorts of problems, yet I have them. I was overweight, but not obese, I am pear shaped, not apple shaped and there is no history of these problems in my family. I found out I am insulin resistant (or was). Also, if I drink diet soda I am hungry within 30 minutes (stomach growling hunger) because even though it has 0 calories it messes with my blood sugar.
  • aimeeang
    aimeeang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have the exact same problem.

i already increased my caloric goal from 1200 to 1390 (weight loss goal of half pound a week)

eating oatmeal every morning with raisins and almond nuts (i put splenda on it, which i'm trying to cut down on, coz brown sugar is 190 calories a packet)

i eat white rice every lunchtime (1 cup) and will order brown rice when i have the option. with chicken or fish meat. with roasted vegetables

at dinnertime, i eat instant noodles mixed with iceberg lettuce. or rice with chicken again.

i snack a lot - oranges, bear paws, cookies, kaiser rolls (my workplace has a lot of this free food, it is driving me nuts).

i'm exercising a lot to catch up on the calories and i lose at least 350 a day (which means i'm eating 1700 cals at least) - biking to work, jillian michaels six pack abs, tabata training, jogging, parkour...

good luck to us. i think the suggestion to drink water, eat veggies and protein is a good one. i am trying to drink more milk, eggs now too
  • aimeeang
    aimeeang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    correction: brown sugar is 11 calories, artificial sweetener is 0...sorry about that
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Have you used a calculator to figure up how many calories you need for maintenance? And then subtract about 500 for a deficit?

Try to hit your macros... Protein, Fat... then Carbs. And use whole grain stuff for carbs, that might help. I know that when I mindfully concentrate on hitting my Protein first, then usually all else falls into place.