Healthy snacks for holiday travel?

Options
Anyone have some suggestions for healthy snacks to bring while at the airport or while traveling this holiday season?

I was thinking mini carrots and some trail mix, but more exciting options welcome!

Replies

• wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love pretzel sticks for travel
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Trail mix is rarely low calorie, especially if you eat it without measuring it first. You may be better off with some pre-measured roasted almonds with a few chocolate chips thrown in...much more controllable.

Also, I like to eat shelled pistacios (salt and pepper!) It takes time to shell them and they have lots of flavor for few calories, comparitively.

Fruit, with a little peanut butter is another favorite. (aples and pears, especially.)

Good luck!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    carrots
    edamame
    pretzels
    dark chocolate almonds
    clif bars
    nature valley granola bars
    apple or banana with peanut butter

:)
  • Yary2931
    Yary2931 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always have granola bars and almonds everywhere I go... Car, desk at work, home, etc.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    chocolate dipped strawberries.
    Any berries.

Vegemite on crackers.:laugh:

mini-prezels by themselves or mixed with dried fruit
    dried edamame (soybeans) pwrhaps with salt and other spices.

Gorp has always been my favorite. Here is a fancy recipe; Any nuts and dried fruits are fine. This keep them whole.
    1/2 ounce whole shelled (unpeeled) almonds
    1/4 ounce unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
    1/4 ounce dried cranberries
    1 tablespoon chopped pitted dates
    1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate chips

I remember making Gorp for camping with peanut butter, raisins, and a bit of oatmeal. We used to put it through the blender or grinder to make a paste for spreading.
  • mvandommelen
    Options
    Reduced fat cheese sticks are great, always fruit of any kind!! anything made my kashi is great!! I take mini bags of cereal by Kashi! The Honey Almond Flax is awesome and very filling!!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Whatever option(s) you choose, try to have some coffee with it... caffeine is an appetite supressant and it works like a charm for me everytime :wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    fruit
    dry cereal
    nuts and seeds (portioned out if you're like me - I could eat a ton)
    snack bars like Clif or Luna - Clif even makes a mini snack bar now that's only 100 calories