Craving Pizza?

Options

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've made some clean pizzas before too! These ones are a little bigger, and more filling.
    1 whole wheat pita bread
    3-4 tbs marinara
    1/4c shredded mozzarella
    1/4c mushrooms
    1/2c baby spinach
    handful sliced bell pepper strips

• tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love PIZZA! I have done the cauliflower crust was good. And would like to try the no crust. I have to wait till next month tonsee if i t cuts my craving
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    oh yes! I tried with no crust. Umm, grate some cheese and put it in a hot nonstick pan or on parchment in a hot (425F) oven until it bubbles and starts to get crisp on the edges. Then top with sauce, pepperoni, whatever you like and continue to cook until bubbly through to the center. Put it on a plate (with paper towels) and let it cool a bit. It will have this awesome crunchy cheese layer.
    So when I tried this the first time I thought "wow this seems really unhealthy" lol. But its really like a normal pizza minus the crust lol. I dunno, its worth a try lol
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love these and make them often! I also sometimes use pita rounds, tortilla shells or Naan bread too. Just helps get rid of that pizza craving!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yum! Any ideas for a lower-carb version for us diabetics?
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »

crustless pizza
    zucchini crust
    cauliflower crust
    omelette/egg base (turns out more like a frittata)
    cream cheese crust (this is delicious but not exactly low cal lol) http://www.food.com/recipe/no-dough-pizza-low-carb-cream-cheese-pizza-crust-501041
  • LetusCoexist
    LetusCoexist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can also get a LARGE zuccini and slice that rather thick and use that as the "crust". Top with pizza sauce and any other goodies and some cheese. Bake it up and enjoy your snacks!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tip: A little sprinkle of dried oregano, a few fennel seeds and dash of garlic salt really adds to the flavour. I've been eating these since I was a kid (I'm 51 yrs old now!). In a pinch, we'd use whole wheat toast. When you have a craving, it's great.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the Flat Out Pizza Crusts. They are 120 Calories, very thin crust, and make about 3-4 small slices of thin crust pizza when all done. I add sausage, turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, low or no-fat mozzarella, and whatever veggies I have on hand. Good stuff and usually fits in my macros.

Flat outs are awesome because they are so big that you feel like you're eating a massive piece of pizza!

I keep meaning to try flat outs as crust. Do they get crispy? Can they hold up? Or are they more calzone like that pizza like? We have a sandwich press, and do "sandwich night" which is often calzone night, but I was wondering about flat outs as crusts...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »

This one is awesome. And is my go to when I need a lower calorie option. It would probably work well for a (type 2) diabetic.

http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2012/08/28/zucchini-pizza-crust-and-wiaw/
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use naan bread about the size of a personal pizza. I top it with 2 T of pizza squeeze sauce, 8 slices of turkey pepperoni, 1 1/2 oz mozzarella and all the veggies I can cram on top. The whole thing is less than 500 calories. Perfect for supper.
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Maybe.......
    Greek yogurt pizza dough...equal parts Greek yogurt & self rising flour.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the Flat Out Pizza Crusts. They are 120 Calories, very thin crust, and make about 3-4 small slices of thin crust pizza when all done. I add sausage, turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, low or no-fat mozzarella, and whatever veggies I have on hand. Good stuff and usually fits in my macros.

Flat outs are awesome because they are so big that you feel like you're eating a massive piece of pizza!

I keep meaning to try flat outs as crust. Do they get crispy? Can they hold up? Or are they more calzone like that pizza like? We have a sandwich press, and do "sandwich night" which is often calzone night, but I was wondering about flat outs as crusts...

Mine didn't get crispy so I haven't tried again.

I suggest flatbreads personally! There's a brand that makes some 180 calorie ones with 15g of protein.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    To get them crispy I usually broil for a few mins, then take it out, flip it over and put my toppings on then broil again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    To get them crispy I usually broil for a few mins, then take it out, flip it over and put my toppings on then broil again.

And you do this with flat outs?
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    I wasn't until now. Thanks :(
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

And you do this with flat outs?

Yep, and pita and tortillas.
  • damiarhan
    damiarhan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best low carb, low fat option is a spaghetti squash pizza bake. Made it the other night and totally satisfied my cravings. Use ground turkey or chicken for the protein, fat free mozzarella, a few turkey pepperoni slices, little sauce and bam! 1 cup of spaghetti squash is only 42 calories and 10 carbs. So this is perfect for those "hungry" days when you can't seem to feel full while maintaining your macros :)
  • hellobirdie_xo
    hellobirdie_xo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    24ozwaow3b4h.png

Tortilla wrap pizza is my favourite - I keep mine in the freezer! I take one out then, spread with tomatoe puree then top with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms - anything I have in the house, add a little parmesan and few herbs - pop in the over for 5 minutes & top with rocket! Amazing and about 300 - 400 cals
    image.png 1010.6K
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    that tortilla pizza looks sooooooooooooooooo good!