Really? Gay Penguins?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I read about this this morning. The report I read said it was only a temporary split because they need them to mate, then will return them to each other.

awwww ;) That makes me happy.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/45227533#45227533

So... the guys are hanging out. And that makes them gay? *LOL*

What a bittersweet story.

There is scientific debate over whether there truly are homosexual animals (as opposed to gay which is a human term) or whether they are just exhibiting behaviour which appears to be homosexual but actually isn't. Is sexuality in animals simply a very Darwinian concept and as such must be heterosexual as it's goal is reproduction or are just normal flock behaviour for its overall good? For example black male swans will raise a cygnet together - is this due to homosexuality or two males together offer more protection or both?

What is certainly known is that many species of animals exhibit homosexual behaviour (making the argument that homosexuality is unnatural very amusing) In fact a significant percentage of captive King Penguins show it.

Should the boys be forced to reproduce for the good of the species....
  • odusgolp
    Options

There is scientific debate over whether there truly are homosexual animals (as opposed to gay which is a human term) or whether they are just exhibiting behaviour which appears to be homosexual but actually isn't. Is sexuality in animals simply a very Darwinian concept and as such must be heterosexual as it's goal is reproduction or are just normal flock behaviour for its overall good? For example black male swans will raise a cygnet together - is this due to homosexuality or two males together offer more protection or both?

What is certainly known is that many species of animals exhibit homosexual behaviour (making the argument that homosexuality is unnatural very amusing) In fact a significant percentage of captive King Penguins show it.

Well, can it be forced?? Or simply placing them with the lady folk and hoping they do the deed??
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I read about this this morning. The report I read said it was only a temporary split because they need them to mate, then will return them to each other.

awwww ;) That makes me happy.

Me too!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

So... the plethora of dogs humping cats proves that bestiality is natural. Spread the news!!!!!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Someone better call the Westboro Baptist Church. This may get out of hand.

Right, because we really need happy feet 3 boycotted!
  • myofibril
    Options

Well, can it be forced?? Or simply placing them with the lady folk and hoping they do the deed??

As far as I know they can be "forced" in so much as if they are isolated and paired with an interested female in mating season then the "deed" will probably occur -the sexual imperative is very strong. Would they have paired off with a female given a free "choice"? It seems not.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

So... the plethora of dogs humping cats proves that bestiality is natural. Spread the news!!!!!

no, actually, all that the dogs humping the cats proves is that the dogs are asserting dominance over the cats. they're not actually showing mating behaviours, there is no mating intent nor drive.

with the penguins, however, they are showing mating intent as well as mating drive. and it's not just in captivity - though naturally that's where we humans see it - out in the wild, homosexual penguin couples will still try to hatch an egg. and while, from what we've observed, these are mostly "hysterical pregnancies" where a rock is treated like an egg; there have been documented instances of the reproductive drive being so strong that they will attempt to steal an egg from another male who is not paying attention.
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My dog humped my cat once.

This made me LOL. :)

LOL Me too!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of a stand up Ellen did one time...Why is it that talk of homosexuality always leads to arguements about beastiality? :huh:

Seriously though. Homosexuality is found in over 450 species. Homophobia is only found in ONE.

Food for thought. :flowerforyou:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don' blame them. Girl penguins are beeotches!!!!!!

• myofibril
    Options

No, bestiality is human / non human.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I've long suspected it.Gay animals in interspecies relationships. Look at Tennesee Tuxedo and Chumley, oldest openly gay couple I can think of. They were out long before Bert and Ernie spiced up Sesame Street.
    sa1078.jpg
  • myofibril
    Options
    I've long suspected it.Gay animals in interspecies relationships.

You think that's bad? What about Bugs Bunny dressing up as a chick and trying to seduce Elmer? That is all kinds of wrong...

6-girls-who-should-play-cartoons-15-300-75.jpg
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've long suspected it.Gay animals in interspecies relationships.

You think that's bad? What about Bugs Bunny dressing up as a chick and trying to seduce Elmer? That is all kinds of wrong...

6-girls-who-should-play-cartoons-15-300-75.jpg

At least in Elmers case he has documentation that it was the rabbit that came on to him! :laugh:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

no, actually, all that the dogs humping the cats proves is that the dogs are asserting dominance over the cats. they're not actually showing mating behaviours, there is no mating intent nor drive.

with the penguins, however, they are showing mating intent as well as mating drive. and it's not just in captivity - though naturally that's where we humans see it - out in the wild, homosexual penguin couples will still try to hatch an egg. and while, from what we've observed, these are mostly "hysterical pregnancies" where a rock is treated like an egg; there have been documented instances of the reproductive drive being so strong that they will attempt to steal an egg from another male who is not paying attention.

Put down the goat, Earl. No, no.... don't worry. We'll have our day.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    being-bullied-just-act-less-gay-advise-teachers-240x180.jpg
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I've long suspected it.Gay animals in interspecies relationships. Look at Tennesee Tuxedo and Chumley, oldest openly gay couple I can think of. They were out long before Bert and Ernie spiced up Sesame Street.
    sa1078.jpg

I keep coming back to laugh at this. Thank you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Then there is the angle of captivity.

I watched two male bottlenose dolphins in captivity with obvious erections attempting to consummate the affair.

The females in the facility were in the same water, but separated from the males by fences. It would be possible for the two groups to communicate by sound, and presumably by scent. But the males spent quite some time attempting to find the correct orifice on each other, without any apparent anger and with no immediate attempt to escape the attention.

Kind of like in prison. By choice, or necessity?