Okra???

Options
Ok everyone! I'm not one thats picky with veggies but i've been soooo sick of my normal stand bys so i thought id try something new. I grabbed a bag of frozen okra. How do I cook it besides fried?? My diet doesnt allow oil or sodium or dairy other then that throw em at me :) I have no idea how to cook this stuff!!

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    I'm not sure therefore I'm not at all helpful BUT I just wanted to say that I LOVE Okra pickles - yummy :)
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Look for some recipes online! I personally don't like them because they are slimy! Hope you like them! Oh and by the way; fresh is better!
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed tiny amounts of oil ? You can use spray oil and saute them. They will taste very good. I can give you a recipe but not sure if you are allowed to have any amount of oil ?
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love okra, especially in curries and gumbo. I don't know of any healthy recipes, but I am sure there are some floating around :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    curry!!! gumbo!!! vegetable soup!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Its really good sauteed with squash and tomatoes....or you could just steam and season them with cajun spices!! :smile:
  • loulou_z
    Options
    My MIL makes okra often. She mainly cooks with with an onion, can of diced tomatos, fresh parsley, a splash of vinegar or lemon juice and olive oil. If you cant use oil,dont add it!! Varies of this include adding other veggies with it such as carrot, celery or zucchini. Happy cooking!! :happy:
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just found a can of okra, corn, and tomatoes at the grocery store, and had to buy it. I used to put okra in veggie soup all the time (I love to cook homemade soups), but have rarely seen it out here in Nevada, except in the can.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I'm not sure therefore I'm not at all helpful BUT I just wanted to say that I LOVE Okra pickles - yummy :)

YUM. Damn now I'm cravin pickled okra! Do you know how hard it is to get that in Washington ?? DOH. :)

I feel inclined to go buy some now and ship it to you!
  • Ok everyone! I'm not one thats picky with veggies but i've been soooo sick of my normal stand bys so i thought id try something new. I grabbed a bag of frozen okra. How do I cook it besides fried?? My diet doesnt allow oil or sodium or dairy other then that throw em at me :) I have no idea how to cook this stuff!!

Okra's are yummy. You can stir fry it with tomatos, parsley - lemon juice - you could also add some meat to if if you wanna.. Serve it as it is, or with some rice/pita/couscous on the side.. nom!
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    you can put it on skewer them and grill them with garlic and just little olive oil. You could try it without oil. the longer you cook it the more I like it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    With green cardamons, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, ground coriander, ground cumin and lemon juice/lime juice! in a skillet! :)
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okra is the devil's food! Sorry, just is!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your ideas! They all sound delish! And i'm looking forward to try them all! Today i went with a little mix of everything. I boiled them in chicken and beef stock unslated and added chipotle powder. It was a little slimey but not too bad :)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    im not help here. the only way i eat okra is if it is fried!
  • Spliceintuit
    Spliceintuit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Like a few posts, can you at least use a teaspoon of oil or non spray and sauteed it with your favorite seasoning or nonfat salad dressing and eat it as side dish? I like mine with a tiny spritz of oil, garlic, onion, and whatever seasoning I have on hand ie. cumin, pepper..
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options

YUM. Damn now I'm cravin pickled okra! Do you know how hard it is to get that in Washington ?? DOH. :)

http://rickspicksnyc.com/pickles/smokra Spicy pickled okra available by mail! They have them at my farmer's market and they're addictive, so are all of their pickled things.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A tbs of olive oil will do...yum and super low cal!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. At this time my diet doesn't really allow for any oil at all or sodium so the salad dressing is out too...But i can use in place chicken stock unsalted and vinigar. I can't wait to have some time this weekend to experiement and see how i like it best. But once my diet allows oil again i'll be experimenting again :)
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is plain not an option? I find it delicious steamed by itself. Just put the frozen okra in a plastic container with a splash of water and microwave to steam quickly.

Maybe some lemon juice would be good over it, too.