Whole wheat pastry flour vs. Whole wheat flour

Options
i am having a very hard time finding the pastry flour. Can I just use the regular whole wheat flour in recipes? Any idea where I can find it?

Replies

• thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
  • thirtyandthriving
    Options
    When the recipe calls for: Substitute:
    1 cup sifted cake flour-->1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
    1 cup pastry flour-->1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 cup self-rising flour-->1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour plus 11/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/8 teas salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour-->1 cup plus 1 tablespoon pastry flour

that may look better
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Any health food store should carry it or possibly some larger chain grocery stores. You could certainly find it at a Whole Foods market. I get mine at the local health food store. My experience has been that the two are NOT interchangeable.
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1 cup sifted cake flour 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
    1 cup pastry flour 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 cup self-rising flour 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour plus 11/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/8 teas salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon pastry flour

that may look better

whats the difference between cake flour and pastry flour?
  • thirtyandthriving
    Options
    1 cup self-rising flour 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour plus 11/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/8 teas salt

that may look better

Cake flour is made predominantly of soft wheat. Its fine texture and high starch content make it ideal for making tender cakes, cookies, biscuits, and pastries that do not need to stretch and rise much.

Pastry flour is similar to cake flour but has a slightly higher gluten content. This aids the elasticity needed to hold together the buttery layers in flaky doughs such as croissants, puff pastry, and pie crusts.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Your result will be quite different using regular whole wheat flour versus the whole wheat pastry flour. The pastry flour is a much finer grind. It's also usually made out of a different variety of wheat with a lower gluten content. That means it has less protein. It also means that it doesn't form the bonds that are so desirable in yeast breads but that make pastries and quick breads tough.
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options

that may look better

Good to know!

I'm baking cookies for Christmas to give to my fam; I love baking; which can be dangerous! but I obviously don't do it enough-- seeing that I don't know much about cake flour nor pastry flour! Do you think I could use Whole wheat all purpose flour for my cookies?

Cake flour is made predominantly of soft wheat. Its fine texture and high starch content make it ideal for making tender cakes, cookies, biscuits, and pastries that do not need to stretch and rise much.

Pastry flour is similar to cake flour but has a slightly higher gluten content. This aids the elasticity needed to hold together the buttery layers in flaky doughs such as croissants, puff pastry, and pie crusts.