non-processed foods??

Options
On top of getting healthier and exercising i would like to stop eating so much processed foods. I am Vegetarian so i buy things like Tofu, boca, and morning star products. Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can make this change. I do not live on my own i live with my grandparents and they buy the groceries.

any help would be appreciated

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    beans are pretty okay for protein, greek yogurt, do you eat eggs?
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is really a challenge.... but worth it for so many reasons! There are a couple great magazines out there and even a new group on here that may help in your start. Start slow with baby steps or you'll get overwhelmed.
    You'll learn to love stir-fries, salads veggies and dips and wraps! lol
    Check out PCRM.ORG for more ideas.
    Good luck!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Lentils and legumes are the best veg sourced for protein, that's really all I know about vegan. Bu8t good luck looks like you've got some good resources cited above.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and eat tofu once a week at the very most (usually less often). I will very rarely cook with Field Roast veggie sausages. Most of my meals are simply veggies, grains, and beans.

What about perhaps offering to cook super once or twice a week and adding your ingredients to your grandma's grocery list - or going with her to grocery shop? I buy my beans dry from the produce stand and a big 3 or 4# bag is around $3. I soak the beans overnight, then cook them in just water (no salt, no seasoning), then freeze them in 2 cup quantities for easy use in recipes. I also do my own refried beans and freeze them as well - you can add them to a whole wheat tortilla with some fresh or grilled veggies for a quick meal. I adore hummus and eat it a LOT - making your own is very cheap if you start with dried garbanzo beans. Yummy veggie soups and chili would be great now that cooler weather is coming. When I cook, I usually make enough for a few lunches during the week as well.

Processed foods are more expensive than fresh, whole foods, so your grandparents would probably appreciate even a small cut on the grocery bill.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of "non processed", personally I would probably stick with buying tofu. While it is a processed product if you buy plain tofu (ie not marinated or favoured) there isn't too much in it other than soy milk and you can add it to lots of dishes.

I would give the processed burgers and fake sausages etc a miss though. Veggie burgers/patties are really easy to make yourself from veggies/beans etc and they freeze well so you could make up a batch and have them ready to use when you want one.

Other than that, I would just start hunting out recipes that you like the look of that contain fresh ingredients like veggies, beans, lentils, nuts etc - you'll find lots of fantastic stuff out there that tastes SO much better than processed veggie burgers!

If you like Indian food - there are squillions of delicious recipes for vegetarians - google "palaak paneer" for a delicious recipe (if you eat dairy, it has homemade "cheese" just made from milk and lemon juice - yummy and good for you too).