Bedtime Carbs--some sciencey people, please?

Options
I was listening to Jillian Michael's radio show, and she was like "Yeah, late night snacks are fine as long as they don't contain much in way of carbs or sugar, because the insulin rise will stall the release of growth hormone and the stuff that controls weightloss.

I have no doubt Jillian is right, because she's frickin' Jillian, but here's my question:

To what degree does this hamper weightloss? I never go over my calories, but I'm often up late. So I'll have a late night snack, usually in the form of some yogurt with a few almonds thrown in. Or some fruit or, if I'm feeling adventurous, a piece of bread with peanut butter.

Again, I'm not a late night snackmonster, as I never go over my calories, but could my snacks be screwing up my body's chemical functions to a substantial degree? How much better would it be if I had protein-only snacks?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Jillian Michael's radio show, and she was like "Yeah, late night snacks are fine as long as they don't contain much in way of carbs or sugar, because the insulin rise will stall the release of growth hormone and the stuff that controls weightloss.

I have no doubt Jillian is right, because she's frickin' Jillian, but here's my question:

To what degree does this hamper weightloss? I never go over my calories, but I'm often up late. So I'll have a late night snack, usually in the form of some yogurt with a few almonds thrown in. Or some fruit or, if I'm feeling adventurous, a piece of bread with peanut butter.

Again, I'm not a late night snackmonster, as I never go over my calories, but could my snacks be screwing up my body's chemical functions to a substantial degree? How much better would it be if I had protein-only snacks?
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You're eating protein with your carbs so you should be fine. Protein slows down the rate of carb digestion, therefore the insulin release is slow and the Cortisol that impedes wt loss is more inhibited. You should always eat Protein and complex carbs together for optimum results. Your snacks are good. Why don't I ever take my own advice?:laugh: