Couch-to-5K

Options
I just started the Couch-to-5K running program and my legs are killing me! Any suggestions on stretches to help alleviate some of this hurt? (I'd appreciate some that I can do while sitting here at my desk while I work!) The pain is only in my calves and shins. Thanks!

P.S. Has anyone done Couch-to-5K? Any input on this program? I had a great first day, and I'm not a runner at all!

Replies

• MsKatyBeth
    Options
    Ive never heard of the couch to 5k program. But it sounds like something i might be interested in. Can you send me info on it?
  • sneronha
    Options
    I suggest new shoes!!! I was having major pains running and had to quit. Got new shoes and it's fixed! Might be as simple as that!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner either but I'm almost done with W3 of C25K.

I found this site helpful and they have a section on runner stretches: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml.

There's a C25K group that just started under Groups that will also be helpful as you continue your journey - join me there!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You have made a wise choice. C25K is fantastic!

We have a group set-up for support, info and even a some bragging: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

It's a public group. Feel free to join!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    www.coolrunning.com

Have you been properly fitted for running shoes?

I'm on week 3 (again) and love it!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the good shoes; for stretches go to Active.com and you should be able to find plenty of stretches to do. If you are not used to running, the sore legs are inevitable, sadly; but it will get better.
    As for results; I did C25K last fall, ran the first of many 5K's last December, this Saturday I will run my first 10K and my first 1/2 marathon will be on Dec. 10 and my first marathon in March...so the program works if you stick with it!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K plan last year... and I worked wonders for me. I run 3-4 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week. I love it. And I've done several 5Ks since last spring when I finished the program.
    Are you stretching enough before and after your runs? Check out stretching exercises on Runners World... they have some great ideas.
    As pp noted, get fitted for great running shoes. That helps a ton, also I walked a longer warm up and cool down then the program called for for the first few weeks... that helped me alleviate some soreness.
    It's a great program.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner either but I'm almost done with W3 of C25K.

I found this site helpful and they have a section on runner stretches: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml.

There's a C25K group that just started under Groups that will also be helpful as you continue your journey - join me there!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    Ha! We crossed streams! Woohoo!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for videos on heel drops. That helps stretch the calves.

Be careful of the shins... you don't want to end up with shin splints.

As an aside, I may be possessed by satan right now because I initially typed, "hell drops" and "sin splints." :devil:
  • rosieratbag
    rosieratbag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on roughly W7 though skipped a long 20 min run and working my own way to
    It. Never run til 7 weeks ago and loving it.

Have had no serious aches but do walk a lot more than the specified cool down
  • Kitiara47
    Options
    When I did the first day, I loved it! Even though I pushed through and felt like I was going to keel over for 20 minutes afterwards :tongue: Unfortunately due to school and non-school issues, I haven't been able to do any more. I'm really looking forward to next semester when my schedule won't be so crazy and I can start it again!

What I've found that helps my calves and shins are the lunge stretch without putting your knee on the ground, sitting and touching your toes, and pushing yourself up on to the balls of your feet and back down.

Good luck!
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    I graduated C25K a few weeks back; I can't say enough good things about it. I actually went from couch to 5k, too- decades of nothing except junk, computer games and almost unbelievable tobacco consumption to running 5k in 30 minutes.

Three most important things I learned (your mileage may vary):

1: Week 5 Day 3 is more a test of the mind than the body. Do not fear it. Actually, fear it- but overcome.
    2: Run to time, not to distance. You will gradually pick up your pace quite naturally, don't go hell for leather trying to run as far as you think you should. Just run for those minutes.
    3: It's OK to stop and rest and it's OK to repeat weeks- if you want you should never progress. Obviously I don't mean if you get a sharp pain in your left arm you should just run through it, but if you're finding it difficult, good. You should find it difficult else it wouldn't be a challenge and there would be no achievement in completing it.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cheated today since it was my first day. I completed the whole 30 minutes, which I am really proud of me for, but I only ran every other running interval. I don't feel guilty, though! No need in killing myself on the first day, right?
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    The votes are in! New shoes it is!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I cheated today since it was my first day. I completed the whole 30 minutes, which I am really proud of me for, but I only ran every other running interval. I don't feel guilty, though! No need in killing myself on the first day, right?
    How's it gone since Day 1? Did you run more intervals on Day 2?
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just started the Couch-to-5K running program and my legs are killing me! Any suggestions on stretches to help alleviate some of this hurt? (I'd appreciate some that I can do while sitting here at my desk while I work!) The pain is only in my calves and shins. Thanks!

P.S. Has anyone done Couch-to-5K? Any input on this program? I had a great first day, and I'm not a runner at all!

I start tomorrow what app are you using?
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I had the same when I started too. I had really bad flexibility in my calfs (stretches are sorting that out).I also had very low arches. I went to a running store who put me on treadmill, videod me running from behind and I was over pronating by loads so they sorted me out with a support shoe. No stopping me now. Good luck.
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    How's it gone since Day 1? Did you run more intervals on Day 2?

Yes! I ran every interval today, and while I might not have made it all the way to the "ding," I never missed it by much! It's going great! I love this program!
  • shellyc7182
    Options

I start tomorrow what app are you using?

The one from Bluefin Software. It's great. And I splurged (the extra dollar! LOL) for the built-in GPS. It tells you how far you ran, your pace, etc...
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    I had the same when I started too. I had really bad flexibility in my calfs (stretches are sorting that out).I also had very low arches. I went to a running store who put me on treadmill, videod me running from behind and I was over pronating by loads so they sorted me out with a support shoe. No stopping me now. Good luck.

Yes yes yes! I did this last night! The guy looked at the wear on my shoes, watched me walk barefoot, then must have put me in a half a dozen pairs of shoes and watched me walk and run in every one until he was happy with my stride and my feet were happy in the shoes! Today was my first day to run in them, and my feet and legs are a little sore, but I'm pretty sure it's because they're brand new and need breaking in! But no shin pain today, so I am happy!