Sodium

Options
I am reading labels calories, fat,, protein I am going crazy cuz I printed of my food log thinking I was doing good always under calories for the last week and I am averaging 2300mg of sodium. IS that too much sodium per day. What amount of sodium should a person have in a day???? Please help

Replies

• pidgy
    pidgy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hiya-the recommended value is 2500...but even that is too high, i think....
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED more than 500mg a day.
  • Kryontz
    Kryontz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What kind of affects will high sodium have on your weight loss, even if you are consistently having a calorie deficit?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED more than 500mg a day.

500mg's!?!?!??!?....I'm screwed.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/09/health/study-questions-low-sodium-diets/

Consuming less sodium has been shown to lower blood pressure, but for many people the health benefits this provides may be offset by a slight uptick in their cholesterol levels, a new analysis of previous research suggests.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    1500 mg a day is good, but there will be some days that the sodium goes over. I would watch the average of the sodium levels for the week and keep it around 1500.

Having too much sodium will hang onto to the water weight.
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    If you're eating a diet high in whole foods, sans frozen and canned foods, not eating out much and minimal processed food your sodium levels will be low. I noticed my sodium most days are under 1000mg, so I stopped tracking that since it is not a concern for me. MFP sets it to 2500mg. If you look at peoples diaries that are high in sodium these are the reasons.
  • kmaclpn
    kmaclpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    for every water molecule in your body a salt( sodium) molecule attaches itself therefore the more sodium you take in the more water you retain, increasing water weight and blood pressure!!! ever eaten a high sodium meal and couldn't get your ring off or felt like your pants were going to blow off its water weight from the sodium. so it can be detrimental to weight loss!!