Body Weight Exercises or Weight Lifting?

Which one should I do? Basically I have a choice:

1) Stay at my current gym - Lift heavy etc

2) Join the boxing gym which focus on body weight exercise, speed and punching drills.

Both would cost £30 per month & I would have to quit one to afford the other. What would be more effective for fat loss? Please let me know.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    I'd say it depends on your goals, and physique you're looking to have.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Does your current gym have cardio equipent like treadmills, elliptical machines, stair steppers? Cardio is going to burn the fat. And can't you do boxing/punching drills at your current gym or at home?
  • EileenShows
    EileenShows Posts: 2 Member
    I would go with what interests you more. You can always switch back if you get bored. I think both aerobic and lifting exercise promote fat loss. Perhaps your gym can put a hold on your membership while you try out the boxing so you don't end up with extra registration fees or whatever. I go to the YMCA so I like to mix it up between classes and the gym.
  • Boxing will definitely challenge every muscle in your body, and help you become mean and lean. Just be careful not to put too much stress on you joints so it doesn't come back to haunt you when you get older.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Great advice so far from folks- stick with whatever you will enjoy over the long term and help you meet your fitness goals- whether that means staying at your current gym or switching to a boxing speciality gym. If you are simply looking to lose pounds and get toned up, either will work. If you are leaning more toward body building and bulking up- you'll need heavy weights to get there with some cardio. If you are looking to get lean and toned while getting in plenty of cardio, a boxing gym can do the trick. Just determine what your goals are and then go from there. :-) Hope this helps!
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Thats a bit of a tough one, what is your main goal? If you want to really tone up and also increase your cardio fitness then the boxing gym would be best (have you ever seen a fat fighter), if you want to build a solid toned body and not really worried about cardio the the lifting gym would be your best bet. Or you could go running and cycling for cardio and stick with your weights.

I've not really helped but i wish you well.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Which one will you be most likely to use on a nearly-daily basis? In which will you push your hardest?
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 297 Member
    I appreciate everyones advice, I think I enjoy boxing more, and want to lean out before bulking. Gonna give my months notice in to my current gym and go from there
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I box the dumbells and get a great workout.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Heavy lifting is the superior type of training for improving body composition
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Why I Want To Get In Shape

To look good

To be able to play with my niece and nephew without breaking out into a sweat after 2 minutes.

To fit into my old clothes

From that profile post, I'd say boxing would get you there faster.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    If you're looking to gain mass, you'll want the weights. If you want pure strength, toning and endurance, you can't beat bodyweight exercises and you can do them anywhere, anytime --- free. I have weights at home if I want to lift weights. I don't know how much room you have but lots of folks have little gym areas in their homes. But with bodyweight, you need nothing. You can pick up a few things like a chin up bar. You can even buy a used walker and use it for lots of exercises such as dips.

Basically, it just depends on what you want to accomplish.