Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    power racks and free weights
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Arm cycle(s). They provide a great workout for folks with lower body mobility issues -- as well as anyone else, for that matter.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    CHILDCARE!!! Good childcare. A childcare facility that has lots of space to play with a playset. I have not joined a gym since moving here 8 years ago because they either don't have childcare, the childcare facility is tiny and crowded, and/or the childcare givers just 'watch' the kids and don't engage them.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i do tire flips with my husband sometimes. I would so do them if our gym had an outdoor area to do them!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Arm cycle(s). They provide a great workout for folks with lower body mobility issues -- as well as anyone else, for that matter.

Good suggestion. They work for people with disabilities and mobility issues, rehabbing and for those people who want to do cardio but whose legs are screaming for a rest (I can empathise with this one!)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    CHILDCARE!!! Good childcare. A childcare facility that has lots of space to play with a playset. I have not joined a gym since moving here 8 years ago because they either don't have childcare, the childcare facility is tiny and crowded, and/or the childcare givers just 'watch' the kids and don't engage them.
    our gym has a great child care area. They take them to do activities that get them moving, and help them learn simple things, like the alphabet. They do story time and they have a big climbing apparatus too. Its more geared towards smaller kids though. For older kids they do have a zumba class while the parents go and do their thing, but other than that, they just have a video game stations for them.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would love some space where I could put my iPod on and dance, on my own or with friends. Even a stereo that would be available for members. Sometimes I've just wanted to go to the gym or a space where I could do this but it's very hard to find. I love classes as well, like the Zumba and Cardio
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Good suggestion. They work for people with disabilities and mobility issues, rehabbing and for those people who want to do cardio but whose legs are screaming for a rest (I can empathise with this one!)

Bought one of these for my own home, well worth the money.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would like gym that provided childcare the whole time that it was open not just for 2 hours at a time during the busiest times. Also classes at varied times it seems that certian classes are only either am or pm and it would be nice for them to be more availible time slots
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    NIGHT classes. I've been a member a now 2 gyms, and all the classes were between 8 and 5!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, good question!
    I have gym shopped a number of times, been an active member of 3 different gyms, and we've been at our current gym for over 5 years. Let me tell you my priorities:
    #1: Childcare. This has always been my number one. I spend 2 hours many days at the gym, and my gym has classes (like little dance classes and such) for the little ones, and it's great. They hire moms/members for the most part, so they can partially pay the childcare providers in membership, I suppose.
    #2: Classes. I'm a class gal, I'm in spinning and yoga way more than anything else, so I'd never join a gym that didn't have good times for me.

Something I'd like to see would be a cheap/easy way to test progress... Something like Caliper testing monthly for $5 or something? Actually, I should ask my gym if they'll do that. :)

I suppose these things depend on your area. There are actually 3 branch locations of my gym, and MY location is geared to SAHMs and retirees, because that's the biggest clientelle here. Another location is downtown, so that location is geared to working folks. Whereas my location has tons of classes in the morning, and GREAT childcare, the downtown location OTOH has more quicky lunch hour spin classes, and I don't think they even offer childcare in the day.
    If you do cater to the SAHM crowd, one thing my gym does that is worth it's weigh in gold to me is that they have kids' nights. Once a month, kids can stay in the daycare for 3 hours, parents can go OUT, $10 a kid. My youngest is 2, and they have to be 3+, so we've been missing this perk for the last two years, and I do mean MISSING it!!

Good luck!

eta: I forgot a biggie for me! My gym supplies towels. I looooove that. Again, it'll depend on your proposed clientelle based on location probably, but if it's the moms-- it's great to not have to tote towels while already toting a few kids!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'd second the vote for the pool - it's so hard to get access to one, but it's such a great workout for people of all fitness levels.
  • ZennzayK
    Options
    Towels, mouth-wash in bathrooms, shampoo/condition in shower stalls, TVs on all cardio machines, carpets in locker rooms (aside from bathroom and shower stalls), basically the JCC accommodations in San Francisco...
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had the following - I am only at this gym at the moment because of price and convenience but would pay more if it had the following:

A pool!
    A variety of group classes (Les Mills preferred)
    Childcare
    Boxing equipment! My gym could so easily have some and doesn't... would really add some fun.. also skipping ropes and things like that
  • Scott_J_martin
    Scott_J_martin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always thought some sort of social network through maybe an Intranet. Most people are using smart phones there these days and it is a good way to meet, discuss and support each other. Also helps keep the mind occupied when on the machines
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    lots of different classes at a variety of times
    a variety of equipment
    locker/towel service
    a sauna
    a pool!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Not what you asked as something you want but at our gym I wish they didn't allow children. I go to get away from the kids to see people bring their babies in strollers and toddlers. I'm also worried about safety if they get in the way of people lifting large weights. Kids love to check things out. A playroom would be nice!