Work Lunch Ideas

Options
Looking for some ideas for lunch at work, I want to start doing something better then just a sandwich and some fruit...same ole is getting pretty boring, anyone have ideas for the 250-450 cal range?

Replies

• Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I barbeque on Sundays, skirt steak, turkey sausage, chicken leg quarters, bratwurst. Package it up, freeze half, the rest go in the fridge. I got lunches for the entire week.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and fruit is what I normally take for lunch @ work.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a big "heat-n'eater." Whatever I had for dinner is gonna show up as lunch in the next couple of days~
  • smd819882
    Options
    A favorite of mine... tuna with bell peppers. I add all kinds of fun stuff to include egg, pickles, olive, zucchini, celery, granny smith apple, kind of whatever I have in the fridge. It is all raw so a little healthier. I add pepper and lemon with a little dijon. Instead of putting this on bread I use red bell peppers like a cracker. Very low carb and healthy!!!
    Hope this helps!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    salad with yogurt dressing..... I make a salad and it will last for 3 lunches. Great if you had some protein to it.....
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say they make meals in the crockpot then divide and freeze them for lunches throughout the week like chili or soup/stew.
  • MoMoves
    Options
    While I can not vouch for the calorie counts, my friend who is very committed to healthy, well rounded eating, writes a blog about her daughter's daily school lunches. Now, Molly will eat just about anything, so there is a big variety of ideas....it's not just "kids foods". I wish my friend was making my lunch, to say the very least! It's worth checking out:

http://mollyslunchbox.blogspot.com/

Good luck! :-)
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My favorite recently is brown rice and lentil soup. I have a kitchen at work so I can easily make it fresh (I'm not big on left overs) but you can easily make brown rice and pour some lentil soup on top, package it and stick it in the microwave at work. Since it's winter I'm big on soup in general. Costco has a large variety of soups. My favorite is their tortilla soups.. one entire container is bout 2 cups and it's 160 cals each so you could easily eat the whole thing.. maybe add a piece of bread if you need something to dip.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    gnc lean muscle meal-pretty tasty... 170 cal... add something to it..????
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    While I can not vouch for the calorie counts, my friend who is very committed to healthy, well rounded eating, writes a blog about her daughter's daily school lunches. Now, Molly will eat just about anything, so there is a big variety of ideas....it's not just "kids foods". I wish my friend was making my lunch, to say the very least! It's worth checking out:

http://mollyslunchbox.blogspot.com/

Good luck! :-)

I love her blog
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    chicken breast, fresh veggies, pita and hummas
  • RmIIImc70
    RmIIImc70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I make lots of soup in the winter and bring it to work in canning jars. I have to transfer the soup to a mug to heat. Makes a great lunch. I also try to cook something extra on the weekends like home made veggie burgers or anything and freeze it for lunches. I have to eat strictly gluten free so I have to bring lunch every day. Veggie burgers with some salsa are great!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave?

If so, you can eat anything you want. I just load up leftovers in an insulated lunch bag, with an ice pack, and I've eaten a wide variety of food that way.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say they make meals in the crockpot then divide and freeze them for lunches throughout the week like chili or soup/stew.

This is the story of my life for the last couple months.
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Fiberone bars! they keep me full!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm really lazy about packing lunch so I only bring things that I can grab on the way out the door. Also, I get bored, so I switch things around every so often. And I quite like hot lunches.

Probably you won't have most of our NZ products, but I take things like:

* Bread and an egg (grill the egg on the grill at work, add tomato chutney) Maybe add a grilled or raw tomato too.

* Fish n carb meals (i.e. Tuna w Mexican rice). I generally don't like tinned fish, but I've found a product that doesn't stink or taste too 'fishy'.

* Healthy frozen meals i.e. Chicken Teriaki w veges n rice.

* Frozen Wonton soup.

* I grill sandwiches with lean protein, a tiny bit of tasty cheese, tomato chutney and fresh tomato. Sometimes bringing snow peas and sprouts. (I bring the bits and assemble at work).

* Dinner leftovers are great but we rarely have them and tend to keep them for dinner the next night if we've got enough.

* Fairly high cal but can do bagel, salmon n lite cream cheese.

You could also do things like vary the bread for your sandwiches i.e. bagel, pita and vary fillings.
  • CessGill
    CessGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recommend Earthbound Farm PowerMeals… I love the Tomatillo Black Bean Protein Energy. They are less than 350 calories and also come in Cranberry Wheat Protein Boost and Blueberry Quinoa Protein Balance.
    Also, when my husband turns on the grill, I throw in chicken breasts or fish, and then freeze them. At work I use Pita breads to stuff the chicken, fish, tuna, or a Veggie Burger.
  • CessGill
    CessGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recommend Earthbound Farm PowerMeals… I love the Tomatillo Black Bean Protein Energy. They are less than 350 calories and also come in Cranberry Wheat Protein Boost and Blueberry Quinoa Protein Balance.
    Also, when my husband turns on the grill, I throw in chicken breasts or fish, and then freeze them. At work I use Pita breads to stuff the chicken, fish, tuna, or a Veggie Burger.
    **to stuff it with chicken breasts or fish... etc
    Sorry typo
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Dinner leftovers are my favorite lunch... Otherwise I have some frozen lean cuisines in the freezer for emergency.
    I also go to out for lunch and grab a fresh salad once in a while, but you can make your own at home and bring that.

I find if I buy salad greens they end up spoiling so I've taken to bringing in my own hard boiled eggs, or chicken, anything heavy from home - then getting nice fresh greens at wholefoods salad bar. So much cheaper since they charge by weight!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I find if I buy salad greens they end up spoiling so I've taken to bringing in my own hard boiled eggs, or chicken, anything heavy from home - then getting nice fresh greens at wholefoods salad bar. So much cheaper since they charge by weight!

THAT is an EXCELLENT idea! Thank you :)