Healthy Banana Bread

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup butter -- softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose whole wheat pastry flour (health food stores have this in bulk bins)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts -- if desired

Makes one 9" Loaf or two 8" Loaves

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease bottoms only of two 8" loaf pans or one 9 inch pan.

Mix honey and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in the nuts. Pour into pans. Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

Per serving: 71 Calories; 2g Total Fat; (27% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 98mg Sodium

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/breads/quick/healthybanbrd.html

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    3/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup butter -- softened
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose whole wheat pastry flour (health food stores have this in bulk bins)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped nuts -- if desired

Makes one 9" Loaf or two 8" Loaves

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease bottoms only of two 8" loaf pans or one 9 inch pan.

Mix honey and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in the nuts. Pour into pans. Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

Per serving: 71 Calories; 2g Total Fat; (27% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 98mg Sodium

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/breads/quick/healthybanbrd.html
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Wow this sounds so yummy! How many servings is in this recipe?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Thank you Joanna!

I knew I could count on you! I'm going to find a bran-ana muffin. As soon as I learn how to bake. But I would eat the whole batch.

cm
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Wow this sounds so yummy! How many servings is in this recipe?

It didn't say but I'm sure there's 12.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Thank you Joanna!

I knew I could count on you! I'm going to find a bran-ana muffin. As soon as I learn how to bake. But I would eat the whole batch.

cm
    You're very welcome Cheryl!
    I'm MFP's recipe box:wink:

• kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    Ha! I knew this would be coming... :flowerforyou: Thanks Jo-mama!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    LOL!!!:laugh:

You're welcome Kimbo!

• mandakay
    Options
    Hunny,

You are just a cooking machine! I love all the recipes you give us! They are awesome! Thanks soooo much!

Manda
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaay, I knew you would post one. We have a Co-op two towns over so I know where to get all the natural ingredients. Thanks so much, you are indeed our recipe box. I will try to find one healthy recipe to post in return. You are a good friend.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - remember you can usually switch out apple sauce for fats (butter, oil, and the like). A cup of apple sauce has 140 calories a cup of oil has 10 times that amount!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Yaaaaaay, I knew you would post one. We have a Co-op two towns over so I know where to get all the natural ingredients. Thanks so much, you are indeed our recipe box. I will try to find one healthy recipe to post in return. You are a good friend.
    You're too sweet Karen.
    I'm looking forward to your recipe.

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Hi guys - remember you can usually switch out apple sauce for fats (butter, oil, and the like). A cup of apple sauce has 140 calories a cup of oil has 10 times that amount!
    Oh that's right!!!
    I completely forgot about that tid bit.
    So I can replace any butter & oils in baking with 1 cup of applesauce?

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Think I'll have to give this one a try, sounds delicious
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Hunny,

You are just a cooking machine! I love all the recipes you give us! They are awesome! Thanks soooo much!

Manda

Aw thanks:blushing:

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Oh that's right!!!

In just about any recipe, yes. It will be slightly drier that normal - but shouldn't effect banana bread. My friend and I are working on replacing sugar with grape juice as well. We have to work out the liquid/solid kinks though.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Oh that's right!!!

In just about any recipe, yes. It will be slightly drier that normal - but shouldn't effect banana bread. My friend and I are working on replacing sugar with grape juice as well. We have to work out the liquid/solid kinks though.
    Then, how about using yogurt?
    I don't llike dry banana bread but who does?:laugh:

• filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    I never use butter and my banana bread isn't dry at all . . .
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I never use butter and my banana bread isn't dry at all . . .
    So you use applesauce?

• filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Neither.

I posted my recipe in another thread. I think the results are pretty good with just bananas, eggs, vanilla, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and sugar.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Joanna-

thank you. We made this this morning. Ate it right out of the oven. OMG!! It was fantastic.
    Tomorrow morning we are going to make french toast out of it.:love::love:
    Thank you:flowerforyou: