Calorie counters/ie fitbit, body bugg, etc.

Options
So, I have worn a fit bit for the past year. Well, two fitbits exactly because my first one broke, they replaced it (it cracked right in half! The plastic casing came off). Yesterday my replacement fitbit broke exactly the same way! I wore it exactly the way they say to, I do'nt think I was overly rough with it or anything, but I am hesitant to get another replacement.
However, I do miss having something that tracks my steps, my calories, etc. I'm motivated by that type of thing. So I am wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that's out there? I know there's the bodybugg, but those aren't as descrete as the fitbit was, and I hear there's a monthly subscription fee?
Any ideas for a data junky like me?

Replies

• triciap79
    triciap79 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is the same type of thing, but I am currently looking in to the JawBone Up. It tracks heart rate, calories, sleep patterns, distance traveled and has a free app that all info is automatically transmitted to. Looks pretty cool, kinda waiting until there are some more reviews out there.
  • Fizeau
    Fizeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded and app for my phone that I think is fantastic. It is called Endomondo. It tracks your movement using the phones GPS. It calculated the calories burned, lap times etc. Really a great little app. It's free.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    I just downloaded and app for my phone that I think is fantastic. It is called Endomondo. It tracks your movement using the phones GPS. It calculated the calories burned, lap times etc. Really a great little app. It's free.
    Can this app be downloaded for an Android phone?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    http://www.endomondo.com/download/
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Is this accurate as far as the calorie counting? I was thinking of getting an HRM but if the app is accurate I would like to give that a try.
  • LaMejor5
    Options
    I downloaded Endomondo a week ago and love it..its great at work because I work in a factory with all the walking I knew I had to be burning crazy calories. yes there is one for android. There is also a pro version..I don't know the difference.

11260393.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Ddietzz
    Ddietzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options

One thing.... Every phone mfg is different, some do not work when the phone is in a "sleep" mode. I have an HTC Evo and it will not work when the screen is off.... bummer !!!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cool app. I'm going to check it out. Thanks.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

One thing.... Every phone mfg is different, some do not work when the phone is in a "sleep" mode. I have an HTC Evo and it will not work when the screen is off.... bummer !!!!

do you have the Evo 4G? my Endomondo works when the screen is off!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Any other suggestions?
    I don't have a phone with internet access, so apps aren't an option.
    I've tried looking for something similar to the fitbit,, that clips on clothes or something but it doesn't look like there is that much out there :-(
    I tried looking up that Jawbone up thing, but all I found were blue tooths?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Seems like they would be useful for some people. But realize that it's still just an estimate.

I personally don't think tracking calories is necessary for people whose activity levels are relatively constant.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Everything we do is an estimate though... calorie intake is an estimate (one banana is never exactly like another banana), calorie burn is an estimate (BMR depends on a LOT more than just height/weight/activity... thyroid levels, blood pressure, digestive enzymes are all factors that are inconsistent from person to person) and even using an HRM, exercise burn is an estimate.