Protein how much is too much?

Options
Quick question for anyone that might be able to clear up some confusion with me. For the past few days I have gone over on my protein counts, not a huge amount but I have been over. My boot camp instructor has told us in class to eat lots of protein, but I'm wondering how much is too much and should I cut down?

My food diary is open for anyone to look at. Before anyone says it I know I don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies it's because I can't. I have ulcerative colitis and veggies set me off on a flare if I eat more than a salad with my lunch. I am trying to eat whole foods and less processed "junk" though.

For exercise I am trying to do 5 days a week of 1/2 hour elliptical and 15 min to 1/2 hour of weight lifting each day.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Quick question for anyone that might be able to clear up some confusion with me. For the past few days I have gone over on my protein counts, not a huge amount but I have been over. My boot camp instructor has told us in class to eat lots of protein, but I'm wondering how much is too much and should I cut down?

My food diary is open for anyone to look at. Before anyone says it I know I don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies it's because I can't. I have ulcerative colitis and veggies set me off on a flare if I eat more than a salad with my lunch. I am trying to eat whole foods and less processed "junk" though.

For exercise I am trying to do 5 days a week of 1/2 hour elliptical and 15 min to 1/2 hour of weight lifting each day.

Too much would be an amount that is preventing you from getting your minimum amount of fats for the day. in terms of health, you aren't even close to a protein intake that could be dangerous. If anything i think you are deficient in protein, you are consuming less then 1g of pro per kg of bodyweight, when you should closer to 1g per lb of bodyweight if your bodyfat is unknown
  • joanie775
    joanie775 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can never get enofe protein Im always over on my protein - Protein helps build muscle and muscle burns fat.
    Eat all the protein you want; Add me as a friend
  • joanie775
    Options
    You can never get enofe protein Im always over on my protein - Protein helps build muscle and muscle burns fat.
  • joanie775
    Options
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Was just looking that up earlier. This should help:

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Additional note: I *used* to think that there was no such thing as too much protein but yes, there is. If you have too much, it can cause problems (with your liver? Can't remember for sure). I reduced my protein intake after learning that and this formula.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If your kidney function is normal your body will just metabolize whatever excess protein you eat. The only reason to worry about eating too much protein is if someone has decreased kidney function because then the nitrogen (from the breakdown of the protein) accumulates in the body and is toxic.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Awesome information, thank you all very much.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You are nowhere close to a protein consumption level that would be a health risk.

If the higher protein consumption helps you feel full, helps with post exercise recovery, and you are seeing weight loss, go with it.

There is a large percentage of people on the boards that consume in the ball park 1g of protein per pound of desired lean body mass. Count me among them.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You are nowhere close to a protein consumption level that would be a health risk.

If the higher protein consumption helps you feel full, helps with post exercise recovery, and you are seeing weight loss, go with it.

There is a large percentage of people on the boards that consume in the ball park 1g of protein per pound of desired lean body mass. Count me among them.
    Sounds good too. I would be in that range also - I just got there a different way. Thanks for sharing.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Too much would be an amount that is preventing you from getting your minimum amount of fats for the day. in terms of health, you aren't even close to a protein intake that could be dangerous. If anything i think you are deficient in protein, you are consuming less then 1g of pro per kg of bodyweight, when you should closer to 1g per lb of bodyweight if your bodyfat is unknown

What is the reasoning behind these recommendations to consume 1g protein per lb. of body weight? I've heard anywhere from 0.5g to 1.0g, but they all seem kind of arbitrary.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Its too much if it puts you over your calorie count for the day
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    You should eat about 0.8g protein per kg of body weight. There are numerous things that can happen if you go over (here goes my Biochemist rant):

(1) Depending on your protein choices, high protein can mean high fat. If you get a lot of you protein from fatty animal foods than you are likely increasing your fat as well.

(2) If you diet is too high in protein, you may not be getting enough fiber which can lead to constipation and increased risk of cancer, obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

(3) Higher protein can mean low bone density. When our bodies breakdown protein, several acids are triggered. Our body neutralizes these acids with citrate and carbonate which it takes from bone. Simple put, calcium loss increases as protein consumption increases.

(4) High protein diets (over 30%) can cause build-up of toxic ketones. Your kidneys then go into overdrive trying to flush all these out of your body. You will also lose a significant amount of water and become dehydrated, putting more strain on your kidneys as well as your heart.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Was just looking that up earlier. This should help:

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Additional note: I *used* to think that there was no such thing as too much protein but yes, there is. If you have too much, it can cause problems (with your liver? Can't remember for sure). I reduced my protein intake after learning that and this formula.

So using this equation would get me the amount I need them correct? It seemed when I did this equation it was higher than what mfp had set for me. So I guess with what everyone is saying is that going over what mfp has set is okay as long as it's not causing me to go over on my calories or fat? I do try to get plenty of fiber just not from fruits and veggies.
  • jecka31
    Options
    If you are making sure you are getting enough fiber and healthy fats in your diet, I would not be too concerned about going over on protein. I personally use the 0.8*BW to determine amount to eat. When I was a competitive swimmer, I ate I think around 1.2-1.5*BW but I was also lifting pretty intensely. I stay on the lower end as I've noticed that if I'm not lifting aggressively, having a closer to the 1.2 end messes with my body too much (this is just my body's reaction).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    1g per lean body mass is the best way to go.
    Most extra protein gets tossed from the body if ur active.
  • jecka31
    Options
    1g per lean body mass is the best way to go.
    Most extra protein gets tossed from the body if ur active.

It actually doesn't just "get tossed from the body". It has to be broken down and is excreted but this makes your kidneys work overtime. If you have too high (it has to be really high) protein in your diet, it is turned into ketones to be excreted. As it is excreted, water is excreted leading to dehydration. Dehydration taxes your kidneys even more and will tax your heart.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention 8-12 glasses water daily.
    =D
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    From what I have read most people with toxic levels of nutrients have that because they overdose on supplements rather then have the real thing. I always prefer real over fake...
    To back up what Jecka31 is telling you - From the whfoods.com site

Toxicity Symptoms
    What are toxicity symptoms for protein?

Excessive intake of protein over many years may lead to kidney problems and/or accelerated bone loss eventually leading to osteoporosis. Due to the lack of a dose-response relationship at higher levels of protein intake, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) decided not to set a Tolerable Upper Limit (UL) for protein in 2002. However, the NAS did note that the building blocks of protein, called amino acids, should not be consumed in amounts significantly above the amounts found in food.

Because the kidneys play a primary role in protein metabolism, individuals with end-stage kidney disease must carefully monitor their intake of protein.