Big huge 300 calorie salads okay?

Options
I have lost 30 lbs in about 18 weeks, so I'm not complaining but I am trying to think AHEAD to the second half of my weight loss... I am not to the halfway point but I think I should have a pretty solid game plan by the time I get to the halfway mark so I can plan things.

So my question is - I have been eating huge salads for lunch... they are just MASSIVE in size and totally fill a dinner plate, but they are just about 325 calories (unless it's a workout day in which case they're 425 as I add half an avocado.)

Does eating large amounts of low calorie food stretch the stomach or make something harder later? Is this behavior going to come back to bite me? The only meal I do this on (really eat a ton) is lunch and I work out quite often in a very wide variety of workouts.

Just looking for opinions from those who have done something similar and have gone all the way to goal weight, and how this large lunch has or has not effected your journey please.

My Diary is OPEN to all

Replies

• raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If they make you happy now, why wouldn't they still make you happy when you are in maintenance mode?

You'll still need to eat... and a huge salad as your meal sounds great to me.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would focus on making sure you're getting the right amounts of protein and fat and if wanting to lose weight, a calorie deficit. Everything else will fall into place.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    325 calories is not bad. It sounds like you're working a variety of vegetables in there and nothing's wrong with that. As gp79 said, make sure you're getting protein too. And if you're stomach isn't stretching now and having negative effects, why should it start when you're a few pounds lighter?
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    No opposition here, just had a huge one for dinner that weighed in at 345 calories--tons of romaine, grilled chicken breast, black beans, peppers, onions, gauc, yum yum!!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would focus on making sure you're getting the right amounts of protein and fat and if wanting to lose weight, a calorie deficit. Everything else will fall into place.

Thanks, I do. I keep a close eye on my macros and I have a deficit about 58 days out of 60. I guess I just feel funny after eating such a huge salad. I can feel it in my stomach and you always hear talk about shrinking or stretching stomachs, and I didn't know if it was important or not.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine to me, my salads are usually 350 calories, depending on what I put in them....
    Mine was romaine lettuce, mushrooms, chick peas, black olives, french style green beans and dressing.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I make HUGE, huge salads. I think bulking up meals and feeling full with low calorie/high density foods is great! It helps me stay full feeling so I don't want to go binge on junk.

I will put cups and cups of lettuce, tons of cucumber, tomato, mushroom, bell pepper, basically all things with hardly any calories then i'll measure out my cheese, or chicken, or whatever else and put that on top with carefully measured dressing.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it would be a problem. It's the small 300 calorie salads you have to worry about. ;-) You want to consume your workout calories anyway so again, I don't see it being a problem. I would maybe replace the avocado with egg whites to give it a little more protein. I love avocados but was told they're kind of fattening.... :-(
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    The lettuce isn't as huge in your stomach, as it is on your plate.
    Iceberg lettuce contains 95 percent water
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I know, Ive heard about the whole shrink / stretch your stomach thing too. Not sure if its a myth or if there's fact behind it. For the past 6 weeks I've changed my meal sizes. Some meals are upwards to 1600 calories 2x per day. I don't feel like my appetite is any different than ever before. My level of satiety lasts longer, that's about it.