Take the Day OFF!

Options
I have experienced both the quest to push for being under as much as possible every day and the time to kick back and not care for a day. I am looking to get a consensus on the pros and cons.

I feel like sometimes I just need to take the day off. Relax and eat and drink and be merry! I only do ONE day. It is hard the next day, but then after a couple, I am seeing how far out I can push the next one. Now it is but only the last weekend in each month, we do a FAT Friday.

I think it helps to set little goals like getting to the Fat Friday and then get back on track to the BIG GOAL meeting that goal weight.

Is it good or bad?

David

Replies

• lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think that's fine, better to have one day of feasting than constant "bad days" where you snack etc.
    Studies have shown that completely eliminating a food just makes you want it more, at least this way if you want something, you know you can have it on Fat Friday :D
  • twiztedsista
    Options
    My trainer has us doing one "cheat meal" a week. She stresses that it should not be a day long feist, and preferrably at lunch time so you can burn off the calories. For me I can't do it. I have too hard a time coming back after it. Especially after 8 days of no power and eating junk. Good luck.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    A day off is a good thing as our bodies need a chance to recover both from exercise and a change in diet. Enjoy the day and the meals it makes it worth while and it is a great way to train our bodies for when we are finished losing and maintaining.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Interesting thought! I can't really go that far off my path - it's just too hard to get back on. I get triggered by pasta and anything with sugar - then I spend days trying to release them again. I find it's better to take a day at a time- I am in moderation with all foods - that helps me make the lifestyle change I need to make - so I can stop the yo yo affect of "cheat days". If I want to have something that isn't super healthy like alcohol, etc. I just plan it into my day. This seems to work best for me. Good luck to you.
  • Zetty
    Zetty Posts: 5
    Options
    I have every weekend off but I don't overdo it. I still watch what I eat but I don't count calories, and I still manage some weight loss each week. I've also had the odd week off if I'm on holidays. I might put on a bit of weight but I've usually lost that within a couple of weeks. I think the main message is to give yourself a 'reasonable' break and then get back on track. I've managed to lose 13lbs this year with that philosophy and I think this a very sustainable approach for me. :smile:
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree. Your body isn't on a 24-hour clock, and the balance of calories in / out doesn't magically reset at midnight. I try to give myself a "cheater" meal once a week or so, just to remind myself that life isn't entirely healthful eating. I just try to do it on days when I've had a good workout, and then I try to ensure I have a balanced day following.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I generally don't do a whole day but I usually do a meal on Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I'm a little out of control and sometimes I'm a lot out of control but I still lose weight and it keeps me sane.