Worrying over calories needed

Options
Hi,
I find I am stressing over whether or not I have the right amount of calories. I was at 1800 but went down to 1660 and I think it is still plenty for me. I didn't move on the scale one way or the other this week so now I find myself going "oh not enought calories" or "geez maybe too many calories". I guess I just feel like I don't want to "waste" time, if that makes sense, not being at the right calorie intake. I am a 46 year old female and 5' 8". I am probably fretting over nothing, but when your new to this, and with all the differing opinions on here it gets a bit mind boggling. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.:ohwell:

Replies

• liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    your not supposed to go lower than 1200 calories, but unless your workin out i wouldnt go over 1500, but thats me, maybe you should talk to your doctor if your not sure what to do
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that you may go a week or even two without losing a thing. Then it starts coming off. You're probably ok on calories. You sure don't want to go too low anymore than you want to go too high. But you should change off from time to time. Cut them for a few days and then up them, etc. Don't get discouraged. It will come off.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    At 229 lbs, 5'8", 46 yrs old your TDEE at a sedentary level (meaning you do not do extra exercise) is estimated at 2076 calories.

Within that limit, protein and fat are essential. A starting point would be .8 - 1g protein per lb of body weight and .35 - .4g fat per lb of bodyweight. The rest you can eat whatever you want...carbs, etc.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    As always, if you're concerned you should go talk to your doctor.

With that being said though.. give it some time. If after another week or so you don't notice any change and still feel fine, you can review your current plan.

Also.. make sure you're using the"extra work out calories" as a guide. I've already noticed that they can be pretty skewed, so frequently I'm finding myself consuming less calories than it states. I figure as long as I continue to feel fine and can keep pace with my work out routine, it's ok.

GL and don't fret too much. ;)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    At 229 lbs, 5'8", 46 yrs old your TDEE at a sedentary level (meaning you do not do extra exercise) is estimated at 2076 calories.

Within that limit, protein and fat are essential. A starting point would be .8 - 1g protein per lb of body weight and .35 - .4g fat per lb of bodyweight. The rest you can eat whatever you want...carbs, etc.

Everybody has differing opinions, but from everything I was taught in college for the average person 0.8-1.2 g per kg (not pounds) of body weight is actually what is recommened for protein.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    As always, if you're concerned you should go talk to your doctor.

With that being said though.. give it some time. If after another week or so you don't notice any change and still feel fine, you can review your current plan.

Also.. make sure you're using the"extra work out calories" as a guide. I've already noticed that they can be pretty skewed, so frequently I'm finding myself consuming less calories than it states. I figure as long as I continue to feel fine and can keep pace with my work out routine, it's ok.

GL and don't fret too much. ;)
    I agree, I am 5'8" 175 right now and I usually eat between 12 and 1500 depending on my workouts and how I am feeling and the time of the month. you may need to eat more at the weight you are at right now. definitely not a bad idea to run it by your dr
  • aswee
    aswee Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not an exact science, for sure talk with your doc first, but in addition there are a whole lot of helpful little calorie intake calculators online (for example: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) that can give you a pretty good ballpark.

No matter what don't let it get ya down! You'll figure out what's best for your body!
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!! I really appreciate the feed back. I am going to really work at my food journal this week and will be seeing my doctor next week.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    your not supposed to go lower than 1200 calories, but unless your workin out i wouldnt go over 1500, but thats me, maybe you should talk to your doctor if your not sure what to do

thx liz,
    I am working out each week, running 3 times and lifting 2 to 3 times a week so burning up some calories as well.