Why Not Why (Brain) Challenge

Options
I just made a blog post and decided that I needed to make it a challenge.

Here's the preface:
The answer to any why question can be and is always: because.
Not much of an answer. Try reframing. Following is an example:

Why am I not losing weight? Because. (What's the reason I'm not losing weight is also a "because" answer, btw!!!)

I want to lose weight - what do I need to do?

Ohhh... now we have a whole different set of questions to be answered more in depth.

Are you eating right? Are you exercising? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you drinking enough water?
Yes, yes, sometimes, No.. ooooh.

Try not asking any questions with Why or the implication of Why for a day (or a week if you really think you can handle it). See what happens.

Here's the initial challenge:
Post a "Why" question, then reframe it.
Primary Challenge 1:
Solve the problem and then report back after a day and share how you solved it.
Primary Challenge 2:
Pledge to reframe all your "why" questions for a day and then report back on what happened.

Do the initial challenge now, then pick Challenge 1 or 2 (let us know which one so we know what you're reporting back about) and those will occur Friday, 11/11/2011 so reports will be "due" on Saturday 11/12/2011. This is more a brain exercise to get you thinking about whatever might be slowing you down or stopping you from reaching your goals and to help others discover in themselves what might be their stops.

It's really alot harder than one might think not to use the framing of "Why" when we ask a question. If nothing else, I'm dying to see who does it and what they come up with. :-)

PS: Although I'm intending this to be health/diet/fitness related, it doesn't have to be. If there's another goal you're really struggling with accomplishing, try doing this. Never know who might come up with some ideas to help out!

ENJOY.

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Question: You don't have an X-Box or Playstation, do you?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have to admit...I like the idea of this, but need a third or fourth read to wrap my mind around it, so bumping.

Why?

Because (duh)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I have to admit...I like the idea of this, but need a third or fourth read to wrap my mind around it, so bumping.

Why?

Because (duh)

LOL... it's really not as simple as one might initially think, so you're not alone at all. Took us a long time to get it (learned this idea from a Fellowship I was in).

Let's say (from a dietetic stand point) you're not getting enough protein but you feel like you're doing everything you should so the question automatically in your head would probably be: "Why is my protein still so far under?"

Because.

This question could be reframed to:
    What do I need to change to get my protein up?

It's a more active question rather than a passive one and forces you to come up with an actual solution rather than just a "reason" - or aka - excuse. That's also the purpose of the initial challenge; as this is NOT an easy concept to wrap your mind around. But it does get the mind more in line with what one is probably trying to accomplish with their body and encourages solution seeking rather than just explanations.