Family on a budget

Options
I need to put my family on a budget...any tips?

Replies

• GettingThin08
    Options
    I need to put my family on a budget...any tips?
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Coupons and the weekly ads even if it means going to more than one store. Planning out your meals in advance and taking inventory of what you already have on hand & being creative with that. Times are getting so tight I've been forced to be meticulous w/ this & I hate it but it works :grumble:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Yes, I'm a BIG weekly meal planner! We use a dry erase board and hang it on the fridge. That way I know exactly what we're having and what groceries need purchased on the list. No extras! Oh, and I'm a big coupon clipper!!!! Google 'grocery coupons' online. You can print off a bunch.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    buy frozen. Frozen fruits and veggies still taste great and are just as nutritious (be careful to by selections with no additives). We save tons this way. Also buy in bulk, then freeze. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a huge waste of money. Buying them bone-in and skin on saves you big bucks. Buy whole chickens when you can also, it's a much better deal, roast the whole things and use leftovers in soups, quesadillas and other dishes, of take it apart before cooking it and freeze the parts you aren't quite ready to use. Give up brand names. Did you know many products come from the SAME factory? (for example no name brand cheeses come from the same factory as brands like Black diamond, or so I'm told) So it's the SAME product at a huge discount. A lot of the high price items people buy are the processed snacks (like those 100 cal packs) they are such a rip off for the amount of food you're getting! If you must get cookies, buy the huge bulk pack and limit yourself to a single serving when you treat yourself.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    If I know you, then I know you like free websites that have a lot to offer... haha like MFP!

Check out mint.com. It is terrific and you'll be glad you did. It is like MFP for your wallet.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For us it was kind of like the weight loss thing. We wrote down everything we spent money on (kept the receipts) for a month then started eliminating the things we didn't NEED. You would be surprised how much stuff you don't really need. My hubby's biggy was eating out at lunch. Mine was the coffee shop. We had our kids do it too (they are 17 and 20). I clip coupons and get some off the web. The stores where I live will take ads from other stores also (called ad matching) so that makes it nice so I don't have to go to more than one place.