What was your wake up call?

ccpace4
ccpace4 Posts: 100
edited October 4 in Chit-Chat
I think my wake-up moment was when I completely stopped shopping with friends because I was too embarrassed to grab my size of jeans (if the store even had my size)...

It was just a huge wake up that I couldn't do what most my girls love to do..SHOP.
I've started to do only online clothes shopping..and really hate going to the mall now..whereas my friends love to try on dresses and shirts..but I'd be mortified doing that.

Hopefully by spring I can try on dresses at the mall!

Replies

• kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    when my thighs started rubbing together under skirts.. it was so bad they got chaffed. YOUCH
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    oh I know that feeling! that was a big one for me too because I used to love skirts...though a trick my mom told me is deodorant on thighs where chaffing mostly happened..I never chaffed once when I remembered it lol
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    I've always, since around 10 years old or so, been overweight. Once I got taller, it didn't really show, and I was shocked when I came on here and saw that I'm obese, because with my height (and the fact that it's just on the border of obese/overweight) I don't look it.

I've always wanted to lose the weight, I tried SlimFast for a while without knowing what I was doing at all.

My goal for a while had been to lose the weight before I started college. When that didn't happen and I was suddenly in a class of my peers (after being homeschooled) it made me get serious. Then, my younger sister got older. She is my double, except 6 years younger and a perfect body. She is what I would look like if I were thin.

So, college plus my sister as inspiration were my wake up calls. :)
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Mine was similar to the OP. I just don't like any clothes anymore, all my clothes are plain shorts or pants, and plain tops and jumpers. No nice patterns or logos ect. Just plain colours, and at that, usually black or grey. So depressing. I want to fit in nice clothes!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    oh I know that feeling! that was a big one for me too because I used to love skirts...though a trick my mom told me is deodorant on thighs where chaffing mostly happened..I never chaffed once when I remembered it lol

lmao i call it "chubrub" and deodorant for sure is a helper
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I hated that thigh thing... that plus working in the heat and sweating had me wearing through the inner thighs of my work khakis. It was horrible.

I didn't really get serious about things until after I couldn't fit into any of my pants... then I found out that I was very close to being considered morbidly obese...
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Seeing myself in one of those AWFUL fitting rooms with like 9 million mirrors. I was seeing myself at 220lbs, five different ways. I sat down and cried and then just decided to do something, and I did it.
  • My wake up call was seeing pictures of me at my son's wedding in May. I was 154 then and rising. Down to 133 now. I want to be 128.. but I will settle higher if it's tone / muscle. I will post a picture.. before and after.
  • I just started on here, but the wake up call for me was when I couldn't fit into my dress from graduation or any of the dresses I bought last year for college functions. I just graduated from high school in 2010. I have an auto immune disorder and I am on medication that makes me lose weight like crazy when I eat right and work out. I hadn't really been eating the greatest since I came back to school this semester. I figured now was the time for health reasons and to feel even better about myself.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    I didn't have a "wake up call" in the sense of suddenly realizing that I needed to lose weight or anything. But, after being diagnosed with sleep apnea and using a CPAP for a couple of months, I suddenly realized that I had more energy. I could wake up early and excercise. I could get home from work and have enough energy to stand in the kitchen long enough to cook a meal instead of getting take-out or going through the drive-thru.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    My wake up call was when my 'big' jeans were getting tight and I refused to go up another size. Also, saw some very unflattering pictures of me.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    when after my elective surgery I still didn't feel great about myself. I knew the problem was with the extra 10 pounds I was carrying.
  • My wife was pregnant with our first boy. I knew I had to be a role model. I took my training to a whole new level. He's 4 and already strong as on ox.....little sucker punchin' turd!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Wake up call: "Daddy, are you having a baby like mom did?"
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Being 196lbs..... again(im 5ft 5). I knew i was over weight again but i didnt realise how bad it had got. Plus when i started walking seriously i was so shocked at how unfit i was :noway:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Having my doc say I "you know, you're just at the Obese line" during my last physical........
    Seeing pics of myself this past summer, and wondering "who's the fat girl?"
    Watching my younger sister start to lose weight, and thinking "if she can do it, so can I"

FINDING MFP.......this place has been awesome!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 629 Member
    I have several wake up calls...tired of being asked when I was due. Seeing a picture of myself and becoming severely depressed. Realizing that I did not want to go into my 40's the way I was - extremely obese and out of shape! I knew it was time for a change!!!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    My wake up call was when my 'big' jeans were getting tight and I refused to go up another size. Also, saw some very unflattering pictures of me.

I was sitting in my chair at work and had to unbutton my size 18's. I literally felt my butt getting wider and wider.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 599 Member
    Mine was when my 5 year old said she wanted a FLAT mom not a FAT mom. and she always asked if I was having another baby. I had heardI was fat before but coming from my daughter it really got to me!
  • orcoast71
    orcoast71 Posts: 105 Member
    Mine was when I went to have a bra sizing. I was standing in front of the mirror with the sales associate. Me standing there with just a bra on (and jeans) as she babbled on how to wear a bra properly. Yeah, awkward moment. I was shocked and embarrassed at how I let myself get so fat!!!
This discussion has been closed.