Do we really need water?

Options
Ever since I came here last month I wondered if I really need 8 cups of water or more. I questioned it because I am peeing so much more and I am never dyhyrated except when I am sick. There are many interesting and convincing articles by CNN and other reliable sources.

It explains that we do get water from other sources, not just water that you get from river or spring....... Happy reading. :bigsmile:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/24/cohen.water.otsc/index.html
http://www.realage.com/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/how-much-water-do-you-really-need
http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20409879,00.html
http://www.worldwidehealthcenter.net/articles-273.html

I guess from now on, I won't bother with the water meter in here.... I am convinced that we don't really need 8 cups of water-water a day.

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's your body. I'm still going to drink my water. But, then again, I only drink water, almond milk and vodka.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Im the same. I don't track. I drink a lot of coffee because it keeps me warm! SO cold :O And i drink water when i am thirsty and a lot after my workout.

I think i will live to tell the tale too xD
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer water. I rarely drink anything else. I fill my 64 oz mug with ice water in the morning and sip on it throughout the day. If i finish it, I finish it. If I'm still thirsty I'll refill it. I do wish I could remember the link i saw on the boards the other day...it asked different questions to figure out how much water you should drink a day..
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

This article pretty much is all i need to see!

Edit: Trust me, drink the water. If you have EVER had a kidney stone you will cry for water! Kidney stones are known to be comparable to child birth, yes it really is that intense. I have had one. I did not drink much water. Now, i do. Drink the water. You may never realize how much you need water until its too late or you are in pain, bent over with a small stone you can barely see inside your body.
  • ZoayZoay
    ZoayZoay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I mix my water with tea and milk. Or with carbon dioxide and various noxious sounding substances that make it taste good.
  • MissAngelie
    Options
    I LOVE water and need it since I live in a very humid country. I drink about a gallon and 1/4 a day.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    8 cups is not a hard number set in stone. Of course for someone drinking 50 bottles of Diet Coke a day, they would need less.

Which is pretty much all the article is saying:
    "Although there is probably no danger in following the 8 x 8 fluid rule, When it comes to how much water you should drink in a day, it’s important to know that your own individual fluid needs may vary."

At the end of the day, you do what you want, but I would go for roughly the recommended quantity (I have stopped logging the water I drink now, since I got used to drinking that much when I used to log it).
  • Therealhotash
    Options
    LOVE water....it's the best!
    It's all I drink (mostly) with some coffee, iced tea (no sweeteners) , & real fruit juices on occasion
    I only log my water when I think about it...I'm way over 8 glasses a day though, always, and don't have to think about it much.

I'm glad I don't care for sweetened drinks/sodas, I can't imagine breaking that habit....
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I used to hardly drink liquids. This is until I began MFP (thank you MFP :heart: )!

I started drinking water to help reduce my appetite, since I read it is common to mistake thirst for hunger.

Now I cannot go without drinking AT LEAST 8 glasses per day! Of course, I flavor everything I drink with tea or hot chocolate etc.

I even bring a thermos to school with me now :bigsmile:

I agree that not everyone needs 8 glasses~but MFP is a great way to drink more if you are ever interested~:heart:
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Drink your water ice cold.

It takes 17.5 calories to bring ice water to body temperature. If you did nothing else all year, you would lose over 7 lbs just by drinking 8 glasses of ice water every day.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm I still say the colour of your urine is a better guide then a general what's good for everyone. If its not clear and smells DRINK WATER if it is clear and doesn't smell well thn you can just choose not to drink it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

This article pretty much is all i need to see!

That was a good summary of the area.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't track water either. I drink when i'm thirsty and don't obsess about urine colour. Has worked pretty well so far!
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

It takes 17.5 calories to bring ice water to body temperature. If you did nothing else all year, you would lose over 7 lbs just by drinking 8 glasses of ice water every day.

Good to know.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me it seems that it should be 8 cups of fluids. I try to make half of them water and that seems to work fine.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    You are correct!
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    i have a hard time sticking to water. i know i should make a effort to but i prefer ice tea..
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's your body. I'm still going to drink my water. But, then again, I only drink water, almond milk and vodka.

Lol! Me too! :laugh:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Lol! Me too! :laugh:
    me three. minus almond milk
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Where did you hear that? I read (on webmd.com I believe) that, using the 'standard' 8 cups a day, if you drank that much water on ice instead of room temperature you should burn enough calories in a year to lose 1 lb.