Newbie in the UK

Options
Hi I have been lurking around here for a few weeks now and finally thought it was time to say hello !

I live on the south coast in the UK I'm 40 years old around 5ft2 and would like to loose around 16 pounds any more than that and my bones start sticking out in all the wrong places :laugh:

I don't have children but have an ancient cat, a small plane and a crazy stressful job which seriously hinders my weight loss attempts!

One of my main motivators is that flying small planes you spend your life telling people how much you weigh which is so embarrassing having to admit someone this small weighs that much ! So I'd be happy to see if there are any other aviators here attempting to better their weight and balance calculation !

Have done various things in the past such as Weightwatchers and Slimming World but gave up as I felt they made my eating habits even unhealthier than they already were....so here I am nearly 3 pounds down and another 16 to go but this time I think I will actually succeed :smile:

Replies

• HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hello! I know what you mean with the lurking. Nice to see you stepping into the spotlight! You'll like it here, most people do.
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    Welcome to 'The Club'

I have to say that MyFitnessPal is working for me. It's a pain to start (i.e weighing & logging food) but it gets easier over time because once you have logged that meal you will never need to log it again, you just need to select it from the the app/site. The same goes for weighing the food, for example I have a cup that use to estimate a portion of rice. I know that cup is one portion of rice so I don't need to weigh rice again. I can just fill that cup with rice and i'm done.
    I recomend downloading the mobile app if you haven't done so already. With the app you can just scan the bar code of the food and you're done. Simple.

Now all I do is monitor my fat and calorie intake for that day. Switching to low cal fizzy drinks and low fat snacks has really worked for me.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. The best advice I can give is, stick with it and always log your food intake. Even if you have a bad day, just log it, and you can balance out the bad days over the week. I ate a large pizza all by myself yesterday (2300+ calories!!) which was well over my daily limit, but if I am still under my calorie intake for that week I don't feel so bad.

:)
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice I hadn't realised that you can scan bar codes !

I love the mobile app and the fact I can log where ever I am and that nothing is banned so long as its within your limits :-)

I really didn't get on with the popular diets that allowed "free" food as I could probably eat my own body weight in boiled brown rice :laugh: as they don't seem to consider that free or not there are still calories in it.

The support here looks really great.. it's what tempted me out of hiding !

I'm struggling a bit with exercise due to the long hours and long commute for my job so trying to make things like vigorous housework and pushing 850kgs of plane around work for me until I can sort my work life balance out :smile:
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi SkyPixie! Great to see UK people on here. You can do it! I hear you re the work life balance. There is nothing more important than this, you must prioritise it. If you are stressed and unhappy you will comfort eat. I didn't sort mine out till recently and I regret it for all sorts of reasons.

The mobile app is really quick. I find it really easy especially scanning. I get too pernickety about logging nutrients as well as calories so I sometimes take a bit longer over it but that's my choice. If you only want to track calories, sat fat, salt, carbs sugars and fibre, and make sure you get more than 5 portions of fruit and veg, it will be really quick to log and you'll soon get into it.
  • iaho1976
    Options
    Hello and welcome from another south coast MFP'er. Good luck with the journey, I'm sure with all the support here you will suceed. Feel free to add me if you want some 'local' support

Ian
  • angw7
    angw7 Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!

I am also in the South near Winchester and despite not having an aircraft, I work at the airport for a private aviation company which is as close I get... haha :)
    This site is brilliant and great support. All of us are there for each other and throw questions all the time so feel free to ask anybody for advice.
    As everybody has said, the app is fab and the scanning is amazing. I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago and love it.

Good Luck with your journey! Feel free to add me if you want.

Ang :-)
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Hi , I'm in Sussex just south of Gatwick airport and I dream about working in aviation rather than IT :laugh:

I am so glad I found this site as I think it is going to be the one thing that gets me to my goal !
  • starfires
    starfires Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too and live in East Midlands. I also tried Slimming World and actually gained weight eating 'free' pasta. The only other time I sustained a loss was through calorie counting so here I am. Feel free to add me.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi, add me id be happy to help.
  • christopheremma
    Options
    Hey SkyPixie

Just joined today affter a recommendation from a wrok colleague.

I'm based in central Scotland and hear what you are saying about weightwatchers etc, I'm combining both Scottish Slimmers classes and this in a hope after 15 years of yoyo dieting I can maybe make a permanent change to my eating habits.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you do.:smile: