Salt...so, now they're not sure.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not "now." There has always been two camps of thought on this.

Bottom line is, sodium is an essential electrolyte and you will die without it. But, as in everything, moderation is key. If you don't have high BP, though, watching sodium intake isn't particularly necessary and that's always been the case.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I've never had a good experience with high sodium. It depends on your body. If you're perfectly normal and don't have high blood pressure, etc. its okay to go over your sodium once in a while. But if you have high blood pressure or some sort of heart condition, high sodium can be bad, or even fatal. So it does depend. But it retains a lot of water so I just try to avoid it altogether.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Salt makes me swell, therefore i avoid it ;) That cannot be good!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

so we eat salt and die of a stroke , or don't eat salt and die or a heart attack. we can't win now can we
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

so we eat salt and die of a stroke , or don't eat salt and die or a heart attack. we can't win now can we

I think the key is to not stress about it. I rarely add salt to anything and I cook most of my food myself. My sodium is only ever high if I eat out. That way, I don't even have to worry about it.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I totally agree with the annoyance of not knowing ...I am one of the "sodium sensitive" people who can gain 5 pounds with a partial Chinese meal. I feel that restricting down to 1500-2000mg has made a huge difference in energy levels. I don't know if I would want to increase them back to normal levels...