Pre-Logging

Options
does anyone pre-log all of their food into mfp for the day? does this work better than logging it in as you go?

Replies

• bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-log my diary, helps me plan my meals for the week and see how I can balance my calorie in take on the days that I know I will not be able to make it to the gym.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I just fill in my food diary as I go along. Pre-logging might be a good idea for planning my day first, then making changes through the day if I don't stick 100% to it. So thanks for the idea!
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    Early on I would plan a meal and log the portions ahead of time to see exactly what the damage would be. I would always double check it AFTER I actually ate to be sure I ate and what I logged agreed.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes but not often. To me its a good way to surely stay within your diary stats preferences. However, sometimes I just do not want to plan ahead but rather make something on the spot!
  • coop1973
    coop1973 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sometimes I pre-log if I know what I'm going to eat...makes it easier to plan for dinner if I don't have anything ready to cook.
  • I usually plan out what I'm going to eat the night before and log it in. I make changes during the day, but try to stick to what I had planned. This really helps me stay on track and not overeat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have been pre-logging for a few days, but I always end up making a few modifications as I go. I am finding that it helps me be less random in my eating, and of course, it helps because I can shop for any ingredients I need in advance.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my dinners and lunches, on occasion, so that I know how many calories I need to make up during the day.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I pre-log if I am trying to figure out a new meal or something. I also pre-log when I know I will have a busy day. It helps me to know that I have already logged everything and then I have to decide how bad I realy want to add something to the log and make my numbers change OR can I go without it this time and stick with what I already logged. It is something I do occasionally but not every day. Nice way to give yourself a little challenge every now and then.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as much as possible to make a plan. It can always be changed later and the info really helps me out alot! Plan Ahead for Success!

In fact, I have Thanksgiving pre-logged right now just so I could see how it was going to work out. Thankfully :happy: everything I normally eat on Thanksgiving is going to still be within maintenance range as long as I keep my portions to reasonable and not over-stuffed. Hurray for pre-logging!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I pre log my eveing meal if it is something new so i know how many calories and know where to adjust my day for it, ie lower cal lunch, more excercise etc or if we are having a special meal with more calories so i can work around it. If it is one of my more regular meals i tend not to log it until i have eaten it.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log but usually make changes depending on the situation, I'll just swap something for the same number of calories. I do it for both food and exercise. For me pre-logging is the key to my results so far.
  • kegonzales
    Options
    I always pre-log my food for the day. This tells me whether I need to make adjustments for dinner. This also helps me to make sure I have the food I need in the house rather than get caught with out good choices and then eating something I will regret later. I just go back throughout the day to make adjustments and to confirm portions and choices. Often I make changes at the end of the day. This has been working great for me so far.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as I pack my cooler for the day and eat out of my cooler. I pack a few day food at a time and so I can log two or three days at a time and change things if I don't follow he plan. it has help me lose 12 inches in nine months. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tried both ways. I have more anxiety pre logging and tended to overeat pre logging bc i would eat too much at a moment where i wasn't that hungry. I like having the freedom of choosing what I want in that moment.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I pre log stuff sometime. Normaly like my Breakfast and my vitamins i take i will do it before i work out and than when i get home from working out I get my food and a shower and I know its in the MFP Diary already. If not I catch my self not adding it later in the day.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am going to start pre-logging because I want to increase my protein intake. I've come to notice when I am "done for the day" and then realize, oh shoot, well, I didn't eat the amount of protein I was hoping to, it is too late. This way I can tweak and enhance certain portions to fall within the guidelines I set for myself.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, but I do log what I've decided to have for dinner so that I know it won't go over and change the food accordingly
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I do it if I'm going out to eat somewhere. I'll look up nutritional info online beforehand so I know what the healthiest option is and log it in....or if I know what I'll be eating for lunch at work, I'll log it in the morning when I'm putting in my breakfast. It definitely helps with going out to eat. I know how many calories I'll have, and how much I have to work off at the gym!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes and sometimes I dont. The days that I do log everything in the morning it seems that I have a more successful day! I think it works out better to do it like that because you can see what to expect in your day