Frustrated... seeking advice!

Options
For the last year my weight loss has been fluctuating! I don't have a lot to lose( less than 20 pounds) so I guess I haven't been two motivated because I look normal! But recently I have really wanted to gain lean muscle and FEEl good! So the last few weeks I have kept my calories every day(1200) only going over my calories 3 of the 7 but even then I was about (1400-1500) I even did the Dukan diet yesterday to kick start! But of course the scale tells me today I only lost .2 of a pound! I should be losing 2 pounds a week! What is going on?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Abby - Sounds like you are eating well if not too little, but if you want to gain muscle I would focus on exercise. Cardio will accomplish your goals of burning calories for the weight loss and building muscle and if you add some strength training that will help too.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Trying for 2lbs/week when you have only 20 to lose is a bit much. Try scaling back to 1lb/week as your goal, and make sure you're eating enough protein. Probably more than the MFP guidelines.

Also, maybe start using a tape measure as opposed to the scale. If your bodyfat is low enough, you might be at equilibrium where you're putting on about as much muscle weight as you are losing fat. So your size goes down but weight does not.

Good luck!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to gain muscle mass if you are on auch a calorie ristricted diet. Your body will loose muscle mass beofre it looses fat mass. Also protein is bery important if you're looking to gain muscle.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    pateince and persistence is the key! when you don't have a lot to lose it takes a lot longer to see it come off. I have been in the same situation for several weeks now. Needed to lose 30 lbs. lost 17 fairly easily and this last 13 is just fighting every step of the way! It is very frustrating but it will happen in time. Try to shake up your workout with something different too.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you are drinking plenty of water and watching your sodium?