How do I know what is my calorie deficit is?

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
Hi Pals!

My brain isn't functioning this morning. I need some help. :laugh:

I'm very analytical and like tracking my deficit. When I began my weight loss back in 2009 I created a spreadsheet. I was able to tract my actual calorie deficit every week. I don't remember how I arrived at my daily deficit. :huh:

My BMR according to MFP = 1343
My calories are set at 1200 for losing 1 lb. a week
I work a desk job and workout an average of 3 times a week, burning no less than 500 calories per workout. I have a HRM and I also deduct 'maintenance calories' from what my HRM (heart rate monitor) records. For example, if I workout for 1 hour and my HRM shows 600 calories, I record 500.

Now, I know I'm starting at a lower weight this time. I want to lose 10 lbs. opposed to 50 last time. However, when I deduct 1200 from 1343 does that mean I only have a 143 calorie deficit each day?

Thands for your help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Go to Home > Goals and check the right hand side of that screen. At the top, it will say, "Calories Burned from Normal Activity" with a number. Below that will be your daily goal, and in red will be your deficit and anticipated loss per week.

Also remember that BMR is what you burn if you did absolutely nothing all day (ie: in a coma). On top of that, since every single thing you do burns calories, there is a factor for your activity level which increases your normal calories burned. So your maintenance calories are quite a bit higher than your BMR.

I think sedentary is a factor of 1.2, so a BMR of 1343 times 1.2 activity factor would make your maintenance 1612 without any exercise at all.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    In a perfect world, one pound=3500 calorie deficit. Therefore, if you are set up for a pound a week loss, your deficit is roughly 3500 for the week. Or 500 a day.

The BMR is if you were to sleep your life away. Once you get up and do anything at all, you are burning more calories.
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I save it in my notes each day. I do calories in - excercise calories - BMR calories and that is what I use for my defecit. I know it is just a rough number but I like to be analytical about it as well, LOL.

Also, I use my "sedentary" BMR, not my calories burned from daily activity so I would assume my defecit is usually a bit higher than I calculate. For example my goal is 1600 (I customized that) so I would take:

1600-500 (exercise from HRM)-1955 (sedentary BMR) = <855> (typical daily defecit for me)

So an example of yours would be:

1200- 500 - 1343 = <643>
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pals!

@Stormie - thanks a bunch for the instructions. :flowerforyou:

So let me see if I get it now.

if my maintenance calories are roughly 1600 - 1200 = about 400 daily deficit.

That sounds more like it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I likey that :laugh: