Fleet Feet experience?

Options
Hey everyone - it's finally that time where I need to buy new exercise shoes. I hate shoe shopping, but I plan on starting to run again so I need some good shoes. I've never been to a Fleet Feet or running shoe store (I've always just gone to a typical shoe store), but I think I'm going to check it out his weekend.

I'm curious what to expect.

I heard they'll have you walk/run on a treadmill and analyze what type of shoe you need, so should I be prepared to do some running/jogging (i.e. wear a sportsbra)?

Are there any specific questions I should ask?

I don't want to pay too much due to being a newbie, but I also don't want to be a total cheapskate (which I usually am).

I'd love to hear your personal experiences or advice!

Replies

• softwind
    softwind Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    They are great. They will have you walk, jog, run on the treadmill, only for a couple minutes so I wouldn't go too crazy. Let them know what you plan on doing - are you a walker, runner, etc and how much you plan to do. They will analyze your stride etc, and then pull out multiple styles for you to try on and see what works best.
    I highly recommend it to anyone planning on getting new shoes. I'm a walker, but they didn't treat me any different and made sure I knew what syles worked best for me. The first time I did buy my shoes there, but now that I know what kind I need, I don't have to anymore.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    They put me on a treadmill with a camera attached. I bought the recommended sneakers for like $120 and got shin splints so bad they were literally crippling me. They issued me a refund after I had worn the sneakers for almost a month! I've now settled into a brand I know works for me, so each season I just walk in and grab a new pair, no fuss no muss. They were great.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet is great! You will be asked to jog, but only for a minute or so. I would definitely recommend them. Quality shoes are so important! Also, make sure you buy some good socks! Those make all the difference in the world!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input!

It's tough to convince myself to spend $100 on shoes since I'm a total cheapskate, but you guys have helped convince me that it really is worth spending the extra dough to make sure I get a correctly fitting shoe.

I'll give them a shot and try to close my eyes when it comes to the price tag :P
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I've been very, very happy with my Fleet Feet! They did a gait analysis on me using their treadmill and I've been very, very happy with the shoes they recommended - I'm on my 4th pair of the same shoes.

Something to consider - they won't always have the best prices, so you can always write down the shoe name and then order the correct shoe online. To me, it's worth a bit extra to always do business with them.

I wear a $100 pair of shoes with $40 inserts - it's not cheap, but I know it's what I need to do to take care of my body.