Raisins....HOLY MOLY!!!!!

Options

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you just ate two cups of raisins, I think you have bigger concerns that the calories and carbs ahead of you.

Yes. Stay close to the bathroom. And make sure you have plenty of TP. Also, something to read might be advisable, I predict you will be there for awhile.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you just ate two cups of raisins, I think you have bigger concerns that the calories and carbs ahead of you.

Yes. Stay close to the bathroom. And make sure you have plenty of TP. Also, something to read might be advisable, I predict you will be there for awhile.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dkbaron
    Options
    Raisins are very high in calories, no matter how much you eat. Try snacking on fresh veggies and a low-fat or fat-free ranch dressing. Good source of fiber and way less calories.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    should have checked the nutrition value before you started eating..just saying

and for the sugar, yeah they are soaked in suryp, raisins and all dried fruits are supposed to be added for taste to other food, not eaten alone, as they have no nutritional value.

actually they have a lot of nutritional value, saying they don't is like saying that the fruit they come from doesn't, they are full of vitamins and minerals. You are right that they are best mixed with lower cal lower sugar foods, and not eaten in large quantities on their own.

Wow! We actually agree on something for once. :happy:
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious because it's exactly what happened to me yesterday: "Hmmm, people sometimes say raisins are a healthy treat. better check the nutrition...Woah!!"
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    this is why fresh fruit is so much better then dried!
    fresh has water and more nutrients, it keeps you fuller and you end up with alot less calories
    also dried fruit isnt particularly good for your teeth, it sticks to them and the acid,sugar, and enzymes in the dried fruit do there work.. while fresh crunchy fruit, likeapples are actually good for your teeth, the action of chewing manually cleans them and you produce more saliva
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Horrible for your teeth, too. Sugar paste that gets in all the nooks and crannies and sits there encouraging cavities. My middle daughter loved raisins as a toddler and I learned the hardway the damage they can do to teeth in frequent and generous quantities. Didn't make that mistake with her younger sister!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious because it's exactly what happened to me yesterday: "Hmmm, people sometimes say raisins are a healthy treat. better check the nutrition...Woah!!"

Raisins are a healthy treat for children because they have a higher caloric demand than adults.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ha, sexygenius, we're on the same tooth damage wavelength.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you actually ate two full cups? yeah, that is a lot of raisins! dried fruit really does add up in calories and sugar. guess you can chalk this up as a big eye opener! :noway:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    In moderation, I love raisins!!!!
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    While it's true that sugar is sugar, and too much of any kind of sugar is a bad thing, to say that all sugars are the same is ridiculous. Different sugars have different effects on both our bodies AND our brains. Glucose is NOT identical to fructose -- and esp. not identical to high fructose corn syrup. Your body uses glucose as a primary source of energy, and your brain receives messages from the chemicals in glucose that tells you that you're full. Fructose (and esp. HFCS) does not have these same brain messengers. In fact, because your brain resists leptin, it actually does not recognize the number of calories eaten in fructose, and therefore does not register as having consumed anything -- therefore making you still feel hungry.

Additionally, fructose (unlike glucose) can only be processed by the liver. As a result about three times more calories from fructose (vs. glucose) are going through liver processes and that results in a much higher production of VLDL (the bad cholestoral) and fat. It also results in a higher production of uric acid and a lot of other things you don't want, which is believed to lead to fun stuff like hypertension and high blood pressure.

HFCS can, however, replenish your glycogen levels much more quickly, and is therefore very beneficial to athletes. After an intense workout you'd be better off drinking a sports drink with HFCS than with something made with glucose.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Okay is anyone a nutritionist on this? Probably not.... better for you to eat raisins rather than chips and cookies. And since everyone is commenting that you will need extra TP... hmmm I would say that can be a good thing since your body will digest it and get rid of it, rather than holding on to it and storing it for fat. So I say, eat as many as you want! just remember calories do add up but the more you work out and sweat, the better it is for you!
  • BHAK
    BHAK Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry let me clarify...

Didn't sit and eat two cups of them...LOL...I am looking for something to snack on other than chips and "stuff"...and thought rasins...should be good right...thought about snacking through the day and pulled the # out of the air...sorry

thought I would bump this again to clarify... ;)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, ridiculous sugar and calories because they are grapes, concentrated.

It's not really better that you eat raisins vs. chips or cookies. Cookies definitely have a wider array of nutrients and more protein. And the pure sticky sugar of raisins are a greater risk to your dental health.
  • hdhbam
    hdhbam Posts: 40
    Options
    You ate 2 cups of raisins? I hope you have a good magazine and a stock of TP and air freshener handy.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I LOVE raisins, lol. I could eat a large amount of them too, haha

I actually have raisins in my salad right now, only 10 grams though, lol, which if I'm lucky gets me 12 raisins, LOL
  • JulesAlloggio
    Options
    I LOVE raisins, lol. I could eat a large amount of them too, haha

I actually have raisins in my salad right now, only 10 grams though, lol, which if I'm lucky gets me 12 raisins, LOL

Ha I do the same thing!! its so delicious!!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Okay is anyone a nutritionist on this? Probably not.... better for you to eat raisins rather than chips and cookies. And since everyone is commenting that you will need extra TP... hmmm I would say that can be a good thing since your body will digest it and get rid of it, rather than holding on to it and storing it for fat. So I say, eat as many as you want! just remember calories do add up but the more you work out and sweat, the better it is for you!

not exactly good advice... sorry. eat as many as you want? and they 'won't be stored as fat? hmm.
  • JulesAlloggio
    Options
    not exactly good advice... sorry. eat as many as you want? and they 'won't be stored as fat? hmm.
    [/quote]

Its a dried fruit..its not going to hurt you. And like I said..is anyone a nutritionist on here? So who are we to say what is good and what is bad? Don't get so butt hurt over small comments..geeze