snack calories?

Options
I was wondering what the average amount of calories snacks added up to. i feel like I need to snack less and eat a bigger breakfast to even things out?

Replies

• fullofjoy720
    Options
    I was wondering what the average amount of calories snacks added up to. i feel like I need to snack less and eat a bigger breakfast to even things out?
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    a snack should add up to a 150-250 calories. like an apple with a cheese stick, about 150 calories. hope this helps
  • Noraavon
    Noraavon Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with my snack calories as well. I end up eating about 300 calories worth of random snacks and I think that's too much. I love the various 100 calorie snacks, but I should probably cut down on them even though I'm not going over my calories for the day, right?

*confused
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter whether your snack is 100 or 300 calories as long as you're not overeating at the end of the day. Why would it make a difference? :smile:
  • Noraavon
    Options
    Good point...

I guess I'm just worried that I'm getting the wrong kind of calories and not enough vitamins, etc.

Thanks!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Ahhh see now you are talking nutritional value not amount of food consumed at a time, but WHAT you are choosing to eat. That's an animal of a different breed. :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Good point...

I guess I'm just worried that I'm getting the wrong kind of calories and not enough vitamins, etc.

Thanks!

Well that depends on all of your meals, not just snacks. You can track all micronutrients on MFP, you just have to go to the reports section and check the nutrition. Or you can choose what you want to track under my home and settings. A multivitamin is a good idea if you're in a caloric deficit as well. If your snacks are always things like 100 calorie packs or just crackers, that's not going to be as nutritious as things like little sandwiches or vegetables with hummous or something that combines fat/protein/carbohydrates.
  • ggooding12
    Options
    I have two favorite snacks. The Atkins peanut butter cups, the other one is sugar free pudding with lite cool whip fro a can. The pudding w/ cool whip cup adds to 90 calories which is fewer than the peanut butter cups.
  • Noraavon
    Options
    Hmmm, I'll definitely start a multivitamin. I just checked the reports, and I have to re-think what I'm eating. Thanks for the tip!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    For a yummy 90 calorie snack, try Special K cereal bars in honey nut or vanilla crisp...YUM-O! Planning meals based on your calorie limit for the day is one good way to "allow" yourself to snack. For example, if your daily calorie goal is 1200, then plan meals that are 300-350 calories each, which leaves 150-300 calories for snacks...more if you add a little exercise!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Snacks make up the majority of my calores, but they are nutrition 'snacks.' I will have baby carrots or a piece of toast with peanut butter or cold grilled chicken strips I cooked the night before. I'm just a grazer. :ohwell:

Sometimes I just input whatever 'snack' I have had as my meal. :bigsmile:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you eat. Some people eat 3 square meals a day while others eat 5 -6 mini meals. If you are a 3 square person they say you should eat most for BF and lunch (600+ cal combo) and lite dinner (400 cal give or take) with 2-3 100 cal snacks.(based on a 1200-1300 cal) What type of snacks is up to you. celery vs hershey kiss ya know :) Play around with your meals to get an idea of what you have left over for snacks. If your meals are too low in calories then you need to up the meals not the snacks.