Maybe TMI, but really curious on people's opinions:

Options
I recently have been dealing with a virus that has brought on vertigo/dizziness and nausea including other things. Some people already know my situation, but I wanted to know what everyone thought. I am trying to be super careful about calorie counting and there have been several occasions that I will throw up feeling sick not long after eating a meal. (due to meds, sickness, etc) If you were me, would you count those calories or eliminate them? I am not trying to be gross, but I just don't know how to be any more accurate. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    how long after eating did you puke? id say anything after the 30 min mark count them...

poor girl. i hope you feel better though and fast *hugs*
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd probably eat half back.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I focus on getting better, not my calories. In fact, I just eased up over the last week or so because I had a cold. I still recorded everything, but I gave myself a break. In my opinion, worrying about calories lost via vomiting or diarrhea is a bit obsessive. Hope you feel better soon!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thats a tough question, id go ahead and count mine to be on the safe side
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i'd ask my doctor!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    here's the deal- its not like the flu- I'm on prednisone and I also have an inner ear virus which messes with balance and dizziness. The meds multiply the nausea. I tend to get sick within 10-20 min of eating if I do at all. And I've been on the med for about 1 week but got sick 3 times. So it isn't every time. It is the food coming up - thank god not dry heaves...uggghh. I just get it out of me and then feel ok but tired. I was told this will eventually go away but it may take a couple of months. Hope this extra info helps.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Id do two thirds. That way I know Im still eating enough. Also don't worry bout exercise. That's taking it a little too far.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If it's that quick (within 20 minutes), you're getting almost nothing from the food that you've swallowed.

Two things come to mind:
    1 - Google "how long does it take to digest glucose" and you'll see that you start to digest glucose within 30 minutes. Glucose is a simple carb so it's one of the first to get into the bloodstream.

2 - I run and, when I run in the early AM, I get up early enough to eat breakfast so I eat a packet of Gu energy gel. Gu is mainly glucose and the label on the packet reads "15 before" which indicates that that paste is best ingested 15 minutes before a run. That, in turn, tends to support the "within 30 minutes" metric.

In that it takes that long to get glucose into the bloodstream, I'd venture a guess that you're getting very little nutritional value from the food that you've consumed.

If anyone has actual knowledge, or at least facts and deductions, I'd love to hear about it.
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    I think you shouldn't be counting calories until you adjust to the medicine. Your health comes first Missy !! :) I'm just saying......:flowerforyou:
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone- lots to think about. I know meds suck in general. I hate them- but then that is my personal experience. I am only doing regular day to day activity right now-anything else wears me out so fast. I appreciate even having the responses. I am taking care of myself, it is just a side effect I wasn't planning on. So is life. You guys are so great on here. Hope you were still able to eat your meals today after this post! :) I'm trying to find humor in almost anything because I don't want to end up depressed about all of this!