Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving?

Options
2»

Replies

• ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I am doing all the cooking for Thanksgiving & Christmas this year.
    That means my Dh & kids are going to have to pitch in.
    I am making traditional holiday food and putting out fresh fruit salad and fresh raw veggies for when the temptation to nibble creeps in.
    I plan to fill my average size plate with good choices.
    I probably will be too busy to log it all (MFP) though but I am not going to worry about it.
    I plan to prepare as much as I can AHEAD of time so I am not in the kitchen all holiday.
    My Dh & kids are going to be in charge of clean up and putting things in the fridge so I can enjoy my time out of the kitchen with family.
    An early ( dawn ) run / walk is an excellent idea and part of my plan.
    That is the best I can do to prepare and keep myself in check.

Don't let the holidays be a stressor or an excuse.
    Make a plan and do it....you will feel great for it.

Keep pushing forward.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree that moderation is the key and that one day will not kill anyone. My wife and I are planning on having our turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Day and our pie the following day. That way, we break up the calories, and we don't stuff ourselves. I must admit that there have been past years where I was not hungry but ate the pie anyway. This year, I will appreciate it more. Also, as long as I exercise, I'll be OK.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am planning ahead and trying to find healthy sides/desserts. Another plan is adding exercise somewhere in the day.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There will be much food to eat, we will be visiting family - driving a lot too. Family lives in different towns, my parents, his parents, and etc. I also plan to work out too. I am like you if food is there & it smells so good, I need to have control - don't over due it. I think I will do better this year - :smooched:
  • Aprilhoogland
    Options
    The nice thing about it is you are the one cooking so you have the control. Last year I took the family recipes and tweeked them a little bit so they were much lower in calories. A couple of good websites I use for recipes are skinnytaste.com or tasteofhome.com. The taste of home website has a whole section of low calorie thanksgiving recipes. Also a good tip that sounds lame is chew gum before mealtime. That way you won't be as tempted to snack all day because you will have to remove your gum to do so. Hope that helps!!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Nope, not worried. If you are stressing out about a holiday meal you should maybe relax a little bit.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wow, I so can relate and I have come up with a variety of strategies to get me thru.
    First, when everyone else gets a dinner plate (10-12 inches) I set myself a salad plate (8-9 inches) Even if I fill it, I am not overindulging cause it is less than I usually have when I weigh and measure everything.
    Second - Since I am doing the cooking, I generally try to go onto mfp and log what I want to eat. Then I know if I can add an extra or not.
    Third, I try to not put any food in my mouth til I sit down at the table - once I start, I can't stop - so I just don't. If you can't avoid it, get yourself a plate of cut up celery (or another vegetable that you like and don't have loads of calories - but have good stuff. That way my mouth is busy.
    Fourth - I drink LOADS of water. It is less for thirst than something to hold in my hand and it fills me up.
    Fifth - I make sure to get my exercise in early so I can eat a little more than without and don't have to feel as guilty.
    Sixth, if i am going to overeat I try to overeat salad, veggies, turkey - not stuffing, pies and potatoes.
    Seven, if I want to try everything I start with just a taste - if I don't like it or i like something a whole heck of a lot more I don't mess with the non tasty calories. If I start with a tablespoon amount of lots of things on my small plate I am not depriving myself..
    Eight, make sure you follow your MFP routine - check in in the morning - just to remind yourself that you are taking care of yourself, and to touch base with all your MFP friends.
    Nine - friend me and ask for my support!
    Good Luck:wink:
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    All of you have some very insightful tips, thank you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried really. I know for a fact that I will be way over my calorie goal. For reasons I won't go into, my husband and I attend two full on traditional family Thanksgiving dinners every year. My family keeps the dishes fairly healthy, his does not. By the end of the day we will be stuffed and uncomfortable. But it's just one day so no big deal.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about it, it's one day and it's not going to destroy my weight loss by any means. I shall eat but not be a pig and be happy :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. I love to cook and I spend the whole day in the kitchen cooking and drinking. I try to keep lots of booze on hand so I can take breaks from cooking. I'm probably going to do the same this year but maybe not eat or drink as much as I have in years past. I actually have a hard time eating as much as I used to and since I cut waaaaaay back on drinking a few months ago I can't do as much of that as I used to and stay conscious so I think I'll be fine.
  • artsiefartsiek
    Options
    YES!!!!!! The biggest thing I am concerned about is that I won't know what the product or portion size is. I am so scared of not being in control of when I am eating and how it is prepared. I have been really good so far about measuring every portion and entering the brand and exact amounts.

Thanksgiving is going to throw this for a loop! I am running a 5k that morning which will help counter balance any excess calories I eat.
  • artsiefartsiek
    Options
    This was really helpful!!!!
    Wow, I so can relate and I have come up with a variety of strategies to get me thru.
    First, when everyone else gets a dinner plate (10-12 inches) I set myself a salad plate (8-9 inches) Even if I fill it, I am not overindulging cause it is less than I usually have when I weigh and measure everything.
    Second - Since I am doing the cooking, I generally try to go onto mfp and log what I want to eat. Then I know if I can add an extra or not.
    Third, I try to not put any food in my mouth til I sit down at the table - once I start, I can't stop - so I just don't. If you can't avoid it, get yourself a plate of cut up celery (or another vegetable that you like and don't have loads of calories - but have good stuff. That way my mouth is busy.
    Fourth - I drink LOADS of water. It is less for thirst than something to hold in my hand and it fills me up.
    Fifth - I make sure to get my exercise in early so I can eat a little more than without and don't have to feel as guilty.
    Sixth, if i am going to overeat I try to overeat salad, veggies, turkey - not stuffing, pies and potatoes.
    Seven, if I want to try everything I start with just a taste - if I don't like it or i like something a whole heck of a lot more I don't mess with the non tasty calories. If I start with a tablespoon amount of lots of things on my small plate I am not depriving myself..
    Eight, make sure you follow your MFP routine - check in in the morning - just to remind yourself that you are taking care of yourself, and to touch base with all your MFP friends.
    Nine - friend me and ask for my support!
    Good Luck:wink:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We stopped doing traditional Thanksgiving about five or six years ago. Nowadays, we go on a long hike in the morning. For dinner, we all make homemade pizza together, drink wine and watch movies. It's not necessarily a 'health food' dinner, but it's probably better than turkey with all the trimmings. And the hike burns whatever we eat in pizza/wine off pretty quickly. :-)

We got tired of the huge meal, all the cooking time, the expense, leftovers for days - and no one was really a big fan of turkey to start with.
  • mandagurlee
    mandagurlee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One unhealthy day shouldn't be that hard to make a comeback from.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Canadian TG'ing has come and gone and I survived, amazing but true.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am not planning on worrying about it that day. I know how to eat and what to eat. I will enjoy myself, log my calories and if I go over I will put extra time in the gym the next day. I wish holidays were more focused on family and less focused on food.
  • dancer4275
    Options
    I was a little nervous about Thanksgiving, but I've decided to not log my food for that day. I don't think it's healthy to feel guilty about food (unless your eating wayyyyyy too much). I'm going to enjoy some treats! But until then, I'm not eating sweets, and after I'm going to try not to eat any until Christmas.
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    I was a little nervous about Thanksgiving, but I've decided to not log my food for that day. I don't think it's healthy to feel guilty about food (unless your eating wayyyyyy too much). I'm going to enjoy some treats! But until then, I'm not eating sweets, and after I'm going to try not to eat any until Christmas.
    Sounds like a plan!