Anyone on Cymbalta or similar SRI....need input.

Options
I've recently been put on Cymbalta and since then, my weight is STUCK at exactly the same number, despite eating well and exersizing 5x per week. No movement at all, which is odd because I am creating enough of a deficit to lose weight.

I called pharmacist and was told weight gain is a common side effect because these meds slow your metabolism down (fricken wonderful!)

Is there anyone out there who's been on these meds and found a way around this metabolism slow down?

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on Cymbalta. :(
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on Cymbalta. :(

Really? I cant get the darn scale to move for the last 5 weeks...same exact weight! Frustrating me a bit.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on it? It may take a bit of time for your body to adjust. Is it possible you have plateaued for another reason? Maybe you need to change up your routine? I would give it a little time and see if changing it up doesn't give your weight loss a push. That being said, I had that same problem with Lexapro. If it continues to be a problem after you have given it a little time, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to another medication. Everyone's body chemisty is different, so you never know what is going to work for you.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been on Cymbalta (amazing drug BTW) for 2 yrs with a 6mos break. When I went off of it I lost about 25lbs due to stress, losses and another onset of depression. I went back on it a yr ago put all the weight back on...blah blah blah. Fast forward to now lol I've been steadily losing since Aug. I'm thinking maybe you've hit a plateau. Keep at it you'll lose. Good luck with your continued journey.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I lost zero on Cymbalta. My boyfriend is currently taking it and has lost a little weight but I think it's because he is eating a little better - not the medicine.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I do have a cousin who has been on Cymbalta, and she has steadily gained weight on it.

As for my own personal experience, I took Paxil for years, and I experienced the same thing that you are. In fact, I steadily gained over the years that I was on it. But it worked so well for my anxiety / depression, I stayed on it anyway.

I switched to Zoloft about 2-3 years ago, and have the same mood benefits w/out the weight side effect.

NOTE: I was also not consciously trying to lose weight or exercise more during these years. I was also diagnosed w/hypothyroidism a few years ago, and am finally regulated now -- so it's hard to say what causes what.

If you go through the beginning "adjustment" period w/Cymbalta and don't feel like this side effect is worth the benefits, maybe they can try another SRI -- each one affects each person differently. You might find one that feels like a win-win for you.

Hang in there -- this process is frustrating, until you find what works for you.
  • leannelately
    leannelately Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin. My Dr. chose it for me because it can help you lose weight, rather than gain, which is a huge contributor to my depression as it is.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on it? It may take a bit of time for your body to adjust. Is it possible you have plateaued for another reason? Maybe you need to change up your routine? I would give it a little time and see if changing it up doesn't give your weight loss a push. That being said, I had that same problem with Lexapro. If it continues to be a problem after you have given it a little time, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to another medication. Everyone's body chemisty is different, so you never know what is going to work for you.

Lexapro is very well known for making users gain a lot of weight. The only med I ever lost weight taking was Wellbutrin (commonly given for depression, weight loss and smoking cessation). I also became incredibly manic and never slept on Wellbutrin. It's a losing battle in my opinion but everyone has differing experiences. Typically SSRI's are the ones that people gain the most weight taking.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin. My Dr. chose it for me because it can help you lose weight, rather than gain, which is a huge contributor to my depression as it is.

I was thinking about trying Wellbutrin. Has it helped you in your weght loss?
  • january179
    january179 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been on cymbalta for my anxiety since may of 2010 and gained but after about a month I was able to start losing again.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I have been on cymbalta for my anxiety since may of 2010 and gained but after about a month I was able to start losing again.

A slight ray of hope!! Thanks!