Ever considered trying the HCG diet?

Options
Have you ever considered trying the HCG diet? If you are interested in learning more, feel free to follow my blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tmj8908

This blog is intended to document my experience. While I do realize there is no quick fix, magic pill, or potion to lose weight, that it does take a combination of eating right and exercising, I am using this in a combination with both of those things to jump start my diet.

Does anyone else have any experience with the HCG drops? Please share. Thanks!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did notice that under the new Groups feature, there is a group devoted to the HCG diet. Just as an fyi.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Please re-consider, this is not a safe or healthy diet. Any diet where your caloric intake is so low that they urge you not to exercise should be avoided at all costs. This diet usually leads to a loss in a large % of lean muscle, which ultimately lowers your metabolism making it easier to gain the weight back once you eat normal again.

It is your body and you are free to do what you will with it, but I just wanted to point out some serious issues that you may not have been aware of.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm actually pregnant and have horrendous morning sickness, which is what nature intended.

ETA: Because hcg is a pregnancy hormone that naturally increases a woman's ability to effectively use fat if she can't eat enough real food due to morning sickness.
  • imgoing2loseit
    Options
    I would not recommend it. My sister-in-law took it and it really messed up her hormones. She had to get treatment once she stopped HCG but she did lose alot of weight. The Dr she seen said it is really common for people after they take HCG to have imbalances. Once she stopped and fixed her hormones she gained most of the weight back. My best freinds Mom took it and is not scheduled to have surgery to have a hysterectomy (it forced her out of Menopause and created some other bad things for her).
    Good luck to you! I hope it works for you with out any problems.
    Caroline
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I did notice that under the new Groups feature, there is a group devoted to the HCG diet. Just as an fyi.

I care not to hear about it, if you can't try and lose weight the natural way, what's the point?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered trying the HCG diet? If you are interested in learning more, feel free to follow my blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tmj8908

This blog is intended to document my experience. While I do realize there is no quick fix, magic pill, or potion to lose weight, that it does take a combination of eating right and exercising, I am using this in a combination with both of those things to jump start my diet.

Does anyone else have any experience with the HCG drops? Please share. Thanks!

You have such pretty hair! Don't make it fall out from malnutrition!
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% that the HCG is not a safe or healthy way to lose weight.. Eat correctly and exercise and you will reap the benefits in a natural and healthy way..and one in which you can maintain for a lifetime.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    reading these really make me cringe and get teary eyed. I worry for the health people that do these scary fad/crash diets.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I considered it.................................... in the same day I considered sawing off my leg at the hip so I could say I lost 40 lbs in 1 day........
  • hjames0486
    Options
    I tried the diet. I had lost about 15 pounds on it but I had problems with it. I was always hungry on the diet, and I was always fatigued. I also would have irregular blood pressure readings while being on the diet and most time it was dangerously low. On top of that because I wasn't getting enough fiber in my diet I wasn't able to go to the restroom at all. Which I learned was very common on this diet. So in order to use the restroom, I had to drink laxative teas or have a colon flush and doing both is not healthy over a prolong period of time. I would never recommend doing the HCG diet to anyone from what I went through. Because I had so many issues while on the diet, I had to stop early and I gained all of my weight back and then some. NOT HEALTHY AT ALL.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

I'm pleased to see that so far, in this thread, strong opinions are being expressed, but insults are not yet forthcoming.

Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Should this thread turn sour, we reserve the right to lock or delete it.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Read a post from a women who did it and stated her metabolism is screwed up now, she lost hair in clumps and her skin got all nasty...but hey, results vary so maybe you wont be like those who actually end up gaining more weight once they stop the expensive drops. Make sure you blog your experience, including the the 6 months after your stop..that is when the real test is, how much weight do you keep off after the 'diet' is done with versus makine lifestyle changes.

Good luck.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I considered it.................................... in the same day I considered sawing off my leg at the hip so I could say I lost 40 lbs in 1 day........

^^^^ THIS!!
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wife and I did it... once... never again.

She is losing her hair right now (4 months after the first round ended) and I was an raging jerk at the end due to constantly being hungry and horrible emotional state due to malnutrition.
  • hjames0486
    Options
    I also read that you are planning on working out on this diet. If you decide to do/stay on this diet DO NOT WORK OUT!!! You are only eating 500 calories and your body needs all of that to function properly. Doctors advise against working out while on this diet, so please do not try to push your body to extremes. Good luck and safe dieting.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

I care not to hear about it, if you can't try and lose weight the natural way, what's the point?
    Because she NEEDS to lose 50 pounds in 4 months. That's her point.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Can't make this **** up (from one pro hCG site):

Side Effects of hCG injections for Weight Loss

While indeed a natural substance produced in the human body, there is a slight possibility of unwanted side effects when using hCG injections for weight loss. Your doctor will advise you on the potential risks when you begin treatment. If you choose to begin the HCG weight loss protocol on your own and see any of the following symptoms stop treatment and call your healthcare provider immediately. Read on to learn some of the possible side effects of hCG.

hCG Side Effect: Ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome

Some women on the hCG diet have developed a side effect known as ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS), especially during the first round of treatment. While OHSS is rare, it can be a life threatening condition, so call your healthcare provider right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: Severe pelvic pain; swelling of the hands or legs; stomach pain and swelling; shortness of breath; weight gain; diarrhea; nausea or vomiting; or urinating less than normal.

hCG Side Effect: Early puberty in young boys

Another potential side effect of hCG injections for weight loss is the cause of early puberty when used to treat young boys. So call your doctor if you see any of the following symptoms of early puberty: Deepened voice; pubic hair growth; increased acne; and increased sweating.

hCG Side Effect: Multiple Births in Pregnancy

Using HCG may increase a woman’s chances of having a multiple birth (twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc). A multiple pregnancy can be a high risk pregnancy for both mother and child, so consult your doctor for instructions if you are pregnant or may become pregnant.

hCG Side Effect: Common side effects of hCG injections for weight loss.

Other less serious side effects of hCG can include, but are not limited to: headache; feeling restless or irritable; mild swelling or water weight gain; depression; breast tenderness and swelling; and or injection site inflammation and pain.

This article is meant for hCG Diet, information purposes only. It is not meant for diagnosis or treatment purposes. If you experience the above mentioned side effects while using hCG, or anything else that just does not “feel right” while using HCG please consult a licensed health care provider in your area immediately. If you do not know a licensed provider, there is a directory of HCG providers available on this site.

Read more articles on the side effects of hCG and the hCG Diet:

hCG diet shots - injections side effects

hCG and breast cancer

Discuss: hCG Diet Q&A on Side Effects

Ask: hCG Diet Side Effects in the hCG Diet Forums

Read: hCG Diet Side Effects Articles on the Blog
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My friend and her family have done it repeatedly over the years and they always lose alot, but gain almost all of it back afterwards. My stepmom used it and didn't lose. I used to drop a few extra pounds prior to my wedding, and after a week and a half I couldn't stand the hunger and fatigue any longer, so I quit using and started doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred while on a no carb diet. Those are great for a quick start, but none of these have resulted in long lasting weight loss for me. This year I switched to a healthier lifestyle, counting calories, and working out regularly and have lost a total of 24 pounds so far. Takes longer for me to lose it, but I am not yo-yo ing anymore. And I know I am doing things that I can do for the rest of my life.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Because she NEEDS to lose 50 pounds in 4 months. That's her point.

no one needs to lose a certain amount in a certain time frame, it is a goal, something she wants not needs.