Meal replacement shakes or food bars!

Options
I was wondering if someone tries or has tried meal replacement shakes or food bars. I have come across various such shakes and food bars through companies like Weight Watchers, Ecosway, Monavie, ViSalus Body By Vi™ Challenge, etc. I am tempted to use the meal replacement shake or food bar to replace one meal or use as a snack. I think that from caloric intake point of view, they are Ok. However, I like to know if any of the contents has any negative effect on the body. Any feedback will be helpful.

Replies

• cupcakethefatclown
    Options
    they never keep me satisfide...
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

I tend to use a whey protein shake after my workout and one before bed, ive also started to have a scoop of protein in with my morning porridge. What are you wanting to do? Are you trying to have extra smaller meals or just have a shake instead of real food? Also how do you/how often do you train and how are you training?

More questions than answers but drop me a line if you want.

Scott
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I tend to favor shakes over bars as they (usually) have less ingredients
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've tried several and never found any I like too well. I don't know that any of them are harmful. What I do is make a protein shake in the morning and put some Udo oil in it and a half a banana along with some miller's bran and oaks. I mix that in the blender and it tastes great. The oil in it keeps me from getting hungry quickly and it has a nice mix of carbs and protein plus the good fat. You might try it. Of course, when you get to deciding on protein powder, you run into a whole new decision to make. Of course, there's no substitute for real food. But MR drinks or a protein shake like I describe is good for one meal or perhaps an in-between meal.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like Bolthouse Farms Protein Shakes.
    You should watch out for any shakes/bars that have salt or anything hydrogenated listed in the ingredients. The salt will just make you retain water and it's not necessary, it's only added for flavor or as a preservative. Hydrogenated anything means trans-fat and that's not good for your body. Try going with a shake that's located in the refrigerated section, not sitting on a warm shelf.
    If you want to use protein powder instead, try one that's either soy or whey protein with little else added.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the ingredients so make sure you read lables. Sometimes I have a protein shake after strength training to feed my muscles quickly and it's and easy snack. I also like Shakeology to replace a snack because it fills me up for a couple hours and gives me some of the nutrients I lack from not eating a super clean diet. If you don't like the taste of any of them don't bother forcing it down. I happen to like the taste of chocolate Shakeology and chocolate Optimum Nutrition or Scivation whey protein powders.

Oh and if you choose meal replacement/protein bars watch out for sugar alcohol, those can lead to tummy issues.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    they never keep me satisfide...

me either! I use protein shakes if I'm way under calories.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    4 cups of water (for me) and a Pure Protein® protein bar

My fav is the Chocolate Peanut Butter bar

The 50 gram size bar
    ~200 calories
    20grams protein
    2grams sugar

http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/category.aspx?cat=BARS#50_g_Bars
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Neither.......................I use them to SUPPLEMENT my FOOD intake. You can eat food.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    They are great if you get the right kinds.

For shakes you want under 200 calories and a min of 25 grams of protein.

For bars you want no more than 200 calories and a min of 17 grams of protein.

I like the premier protein shakes - whey protein - 160 calories and 30 grams of protein

and for bars, pure protein are great.

These are a great way to increase your protien and get to a more healthy food intake.

Best of Luck!
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I usually dont have time to eat a good breakfast at home so I eat Clif bars on the go. They are 250 calories. My fav is the chocolate almond fudge
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are my favorite. I love the s'mores one. It's so chewy and dense. And 19 g of protein for 180 cals, that's about as good as it gets.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've never felt full on the premade shakes alone. I DO however love my protien shake at home. Its a combo between protien shake and green smoothy.

I scoop PVL ISO-Sport Whey-Vanilla (30g protein)
    2 handfuls of spring mix
    1 serving low cal yogurt (I like the tropical flavor source)
    1/8 cup ground flax
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1-1.5 cups water.

Its 340 cals but keeps me feeling full for hours!!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology every day and it keeps me full with no problem. Lately I have been mixing in a scoop of whey also to up my protein :)